[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Change in Licensing Policy for the Ubuntu Wiki]

Adi Attar adi at cs.wits.ac.za
Thu May 25 08:27:30 BST 2006

Hi Hardie,

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 15:57 +0200, Hardie Botha wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 12:48, Adi Attar wrote:
>

> > And as soon as the material leaves the wiki?
>
> What you are then saying is that you want acknowledgement a few years down the
> line when your contributions have become obsolete and outdated, and is quite

You are making 2 invalid assumptions here:
1. that it will take a few years for the wiki material to be converted
into another format, and
2. that the material becomes obsolete after a few years

There is nothing stopping (as an example) Canonical from taking the wiki
material and developing books or training materials that they then claim
copyright for and sell for profit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't
make money off wiki contributions, I'm just saying that in that
situation, I would like to be acknowledged for the contributions I have
made.

> possibly no longer used?  And if a specific contribution is 92% valid, with a
> flaw in it, then no one should be allowed to correct it?

I didn't say that no one should be allowed to correct mistakes. Where
did this come from?