[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu-Women team on Launchpad

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Mar 31 04:12:54 UTC 2006

Hello all :)

On 30/03/2006, at 7:06 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm Matthew, and I'll be your friendly local Launchpad
> developer. :-)

Just in time... ;)

> Launchpad is very much a work in progress, so many things don't
> work as well as they will eventually. But please don't hesitate to
> tell us about things that could be improved.

<starts making notes>

> To reply to several messages at once ...
>
> First, in Launchpad, a "project" doesn't mean what you think it
> means. Launchpad uses the term "project" to refer to a group of
> products, so they can share the same bug tracker and translation
> group (a "translation group" being a set of translation teams).
> Mozilla, Gnome, KDE, and Apache are projects, because they produce
> many related software products. But Ubuntu Women? Not really. :-)

Then using the word "project" isn't particularly useful, since it
contradicts the usual meaning of the word, a group of people working
towards the same aims, sharing the same tasks. Language is only
effective if both the person using it and the person receiving it
understand basically the same thing by it.

> Second, if you're organizing people to translate Ubuntu wiki pages,
> I don't think Launchpad can help you, really. The Ubuntu wiki is a
> wiki, so just dive in and translate! Launchpad's translation system
> is more about translating software that has .pot and .po files,
> which the wiki doesn't.

Yes, we do understand that. ;)

As part of the Ubuntu-Women project, I am mentoring a group of newish
women translators in OSS, with the help of other experienced
translators. Part of that will be participating in setting up a
project, using Launchpad/Rosetta, deciding which resources are
appropriate for which tasks. We will probably filter some html into
PO just for the fun of it. :)

> The Ubuntu-Women Launchpad *team* <https://launchpad.net/ might be
> useful for other things, though, such as running polls if you ever
> need to do that.

Does a "team" have a meaning closer to the common use of "project"
than a Launchpad "project" does?

> . Normally Launchpad is offline about 20 minutes per week.

Good to hear. :)

>> We protest at S. Hemisphere discrimination!
>
> Last I checked, the southern hemisphere had just as many timezones
> as the northern one. ;-)

Oh, come on, Matthew, it's much more common than not to find websites
and services which decide to have their regular 'downtime" during
their N. hemisphere night, which is day for at least some of us. It
would help if they varied that a bit.

> On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:18 PM, Claudine Chionh wrote:
>> The "people" page has a link in the top right corner to "join this
>> team". The "projects" page doesn't have this link.
>
> Right, that's because projects aren't teams, they're collections of
> products.

This evidently doesn't work for people who spend their time in
"projects" of the usual kind.

>>  but then I dont know your Launchpad ID... ?
>
> You can follow the "People" link from the front page to search by
> name, e-mail address, or Launchpad ID. For example, <https://
> launchpad.net/people/?name=siddall>. The Launchpad ID ("clytie" in
> this case) is shown next to the person's name. But in most places
> (except the login form, unfortunately) you can enter someone's e-
> mail address, and it will work just as well as entering their
> Launchpad ID.

That is useful to know, thankyou. :)

>>  ... I still get no extra options for U-W or U-W/+translations.
>
> That's because you haven't registered any products to translate. If
> you're going to make books or leaflets or something that can be
> converted into .po files for translation, you can register those as
> products in Launchpad, and translate them from there (the Ubuntu
> Documentation Team is going to be doing this, for example).

So I need to register each group of files separately? How do I do
this, please?

> But if you're just going to translate wiki pages, you don't need
> Rosetta for that.

Yes, we do know that. ;)

Wiki pages are but a stepping-stone to higher things. We have lofty
ambitions! :D

Drat, I've joined the rosetta-users list. I'll just see if I've had
any answers to my queries yet...

Nope, nobody has answered. That's disappointing. They were specific
questions about running a translation.

So, yes please, I would like to ask you some questions.

When I go to set the translation options for U-W, I am asked to
choose between existing Translation Teams. I don't want to do that:
this is a separate translation effort, and for various reasons, we
want to keep our translations closed.

How do I create a separate Translation Team: the Ubuntu-Women
Translation Team?

Also, is it possible for more than one of us to manage our project on
Launchpad? Because I'm managing the translations, I've had to be
logged as project admin, but there are others who would be much
better choices for other admin tasks. Can we choose our own Project
as a Team for admin?

Sorry to ask this here, but Launchpad and Rosetta user info is almost
non-existent. :(

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>> Do you think we should ask about this on the LP list? I'm
>> shuddering at the thought of Yet Another Mailing List. I spend
>> most of my time doing email as it is. :(
>
> I should be able to answer most of your questions here. If you get
> heavily involved with Rosetta you may need to ask questions on the
> rosetta-users list, though, because some parts of Rosetta even I
> don't understand.

I don't plan to get heavily-involved with Rosetta, because I don't
really have the time. In the future, if I do have the time, I will
try to start a Vietnamese translation team for Ubuntu.

>> ..
>> The Launchpad FAQ has no relevant info. Surely they don't think
>> Launchpad is so easy to use, that team/project admins won't have
>> any questions?
>
> Personally, I regard every entry in the Launchpad FAQ as a bug
> waiting to be fixed. It should be obvious in Launchpad itself how
> to do things, without going to a FAQ! Here the main problems were
> that (1) Rosetta doesn't explain well enough what sort of things
> you can translate with it, and (2) Launchpad doesn't explain
> projects well enough. I've just fixed part of the first problem
> (the fix should appear on launchpad.net sometime in the next week),
> and I'll get to work fixing the rest now.

Thankyou, and thankyou for any help you can offer with my questions. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)