[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu-Women team on Launchpad

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Thu Mar 30 08:36:44 UTC 2006

Hi everyone, I'm Matthew, and I'll be your friendly local Launchpad
developer. :-)

Launchpad is very much a work in progress, so many things don't work as
well as they will eventually. But please don't hesitate to tell us
about things that could be improved.

To reply to several messages at once ...

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:58 AM, || vid || wrote:
> Ubuntu-Women project[0] could be used to co-ordinate volunteers
> working with the website. However it does not allow additions for any
> members even though the permissions are kept open. Seems like its only
> for translation purposes. Is that so or am I missing the obvious ? It
> would be nicer to allow anyone wanting to volunteer on the web-site to
> join without waiting for approval.
> [0] https://launchpad.net/projects/ubuntu-women

First, in Launchpad, a "project" doesn't mean what you think it means.
Launchpad uses the term "project" to refer to a group of products, so
they can share the same bug tracker and translation group (a
"translation group" being a set of translation teams). Mozilla, Gnome,
KDE, and Apache are projects, because they produce many related
software products. But Ubuntu Women? Not really. :-)

Second, if you're organizing people to translate Ubuntu wiki pages, I
don't think Launchpad can help you, really. The Ubuntu wiki is a wiki,
so just dive in and translate! Launchpad's translation system is more
about translating software that has .pot and .po files, which the wiki
doesn't.

The Ubuntu-Women Launchpad *team* <https://launchpad.net/ might be
useful for other things, though, such as running polls if you ever need
to do that.

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Plus, Launchpad just said it's going offline for maintenance in "27
> minutes".
>
> My teenage daughter hates that. She's an embryo graphic artist, and
> spends most of her online time on the DeviantArt site (not so deviant,
> lots of great art, many millions of members), of which she is a
> member. Its regular down-time is always when she's awake and using it
> (the usual combination ;) ).

That was an unusually long outage, because Launchpad's database
software was being upgraded. Normally Launchpad is offline about 20
minutes per week.

> We protest at S. Hemisphere discrimination!

Last I checked, the southern hemisphere had just as many timezones as
the northern one. ;-)

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:18 PM, Claudine Chionh wrote:
> The "people" page has a link in the top right corner to "join this
> team". The "projects" page doesn't have this link.

Right, that's because projects aren't teams, they're collections of
products.

On Mar 21, 2006, at 11:10 PM, || vid || wrote:

> On 3/21/06, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> translations, will I need admin capacity for the U-W team? I was
>
> ... was going to add you as the owner but then I dont know your
> Launchpad ID... ?

You can follow the "People" link from the front page to search by name,
e-mail address, or Launchpad ID. For example,
<https://launchpad.net/people/?name=siddall>. The Launchpad ID
("clytie" in this case) is shown next to the person's name. But in most
places (except the login form, unfortunately) you can enter someone's
e-mail address, and it will work just as well as entering their
Launchpad ID.

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:21 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 22/03/2006, at 4:21 PM, vid wrote:
>> done... you are now the owner, so please check if it does reflect the
>> same :-)
>
> Not so far ... I still get no extra options for U-W or
> U-W/+translations.

That's because you haven't registered any products to translate. If
you're going to make books or leaflets or something that can be
converted into .po files for translation, you can register those as
products in Launchpad, and translate them from there (the Ubuntu
Documentation Team is going to be doing this, for example). But if
you're just going to translate wiki pages, you don't need Rosetta for
that.

On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Do you think we should ask about this on the LP list? I'm shuddering
> at the thought of Yet Another Mailing List. I spend most of my time
> doing email as it is. :(

I should be able to answer most of your questions here. If you get
heavily involved with Rosetta you may need to ask questions on the
rosetta-users list, though, because some parts of Rosetta even I don't
understand.

> The Launchpad FAQ has no relevant info. Surely they don't think
> Launchpad is so easy to use, that team/project admins won't have any
> questions?

Personally, I regard every entry in the Launchpad FAQ as a bug waiting
to be fixed. It should be obvious in Launchpad itself how to do things,
without going to a FAQ! Here the main problems were that (1) Rosetta
doesn't explain well enough what sort of things you can translate with
it, and (2) Launchpad doesn't explain projects well enough. I've just
fixed part of the first problem (the fix should appear on launchpad.net
sometime in the next week), and I'll get to work fixing the rest now.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/