[UbuntuWomen] Hemispheres

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Fri Mar 31 07:34:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:42 +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> >> We protest at S. Hemisphere discrimination!
> >
> > Last I checked, the southern hemisphere had just as many timezones
> > as the northern one. ;-)
>
> Oh, come on, Matthew, it's much more common than not to find websites
> and services which decide to have their regular 'downtime" during
> their N. hemisphere night, which is day for at least some of us. It
> would help if they varied that a bit.

You seem to be a bit confused.

The Northern and Southern Hemispheres have day/night at the same time
for any particular longitude.

The time differences are as one moves *around* the earth, not up and
down it.

You are right that down times on services are often times during the
American timezone's night time (Western half of the world), which is
during daylight on the Eastern side of the world, but it has nothing to
do with Northern vs Southern Hemispheres.

In Ubuntu and Launchpad's case I can varify that the staff are pretty
evenly spread around the world, additional many work almost every hour
of the day! So they do do not discriminate against anyone (or
alternately discriminate everyone equally!). :)

I hope that clears it up...

--
JaneW