Pretty much how I feel

Carlton Noles carlton.noles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:51:32 UTC 2005

On 11/27/05, albi <albi at scii.nl> wrote:

> <rant-mode off>
> you sound like a mainstream 1st world capitalist consumer contributing
> nothing to open-source at all
>
> for your information, you are now using "The Internet", if Microsoft had
> their way, you'd be using MicroSoft Network instead, of course
> completely incompatible with anything not MicroSoft-based or
> MicroSoft-owned..
>
> start contributing to a nicer future for EVERYONE by supporting
> opensource standards rather than using or wanting to use proprietary
> ones and whining on this list
> </rant-mode off>
>
> --
> grtjs, albi
> gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import

Personally I would love to start contributing. And I will but it will take
some time. First I have to get the networking problem sorted out so I can
connect to something, anything, after that I will work on learning how
exactly to contribute. As other's in this thread have noted many things
taken for granted in other operating systems don't paly well in Linux. So it
goes. (I am also aware the opposite is true). I was impressed when I popped
in the Warty Live CD Booted up and cruised right on out to the 'net. I liked
the GUI and apps that came with it. So when I got a free 40 gb hd I
partitioned it and installed Ubuntu to one of the partitions. At that point
I was a bit underwhelmed. I posted my network problem and the only real
suggestions I get to fix it are recompile the kernel with new driver support
for my nic or reinstall a newer version of Ubuntu. ( I have chosen the
latter route as I have never compiled a kernel and telling me I should is a
far cry from telling me how to do it. It seems a lot of advice here assumes
a rather large amount of knowledge on the part of the recipients. You
suggested unhappy folks stop whining and contribute. OK but for many of us
not being able to get our systems up and running even on a basic level sorta
prevents contributing and not complaining the lack of function and/or
helpful advice won't really get things running. I prsonally don't mind a
really complicated solution as long as it is really a solution. Realize
though not everyone is a programmer and some solutions will go right over
their head.

Just Saying

--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles