offline

Andrew Millar andy-mail at priorityonline.net
Wed Aug 17 07:26:43 UTC 2005

Although it may seem like a good idea to provide "package disks" for
ubuntu, I can see a number of problems:
1. As far as I am aware, the majority of users do have internet access,
and therefore the time costs in producing a set of "package cds" would
be very expensive considering the size of the target audience.
2. Debian does ship with package CDs, 8 of them... plus an additional 2
updates CDs. If this were to be done, the number of CDs to be
distributed would be huge.
3. Packages update daily, I personally use Debian unstable most of the
time, and packages are available for update on a daily basis. How would
it be possible to keep the package CDs updated, without a massive cost
in time?

- - Andy

me wrote:

| hi,
|
| i am not a ubuntu user but i am interrested in the positive
development of this distribution. your system is suitable for end users
that like to switch to linux. my preference is too complicated but i am
capable to design it so i can use gentoo.
| my bro - a new ubuntuuser isnt - not able to use the console as i do,
so he got a ubuntu to install and that worked (he told me about using
the mouse in a x :)
| yesterday he liked to watch a moviedvd - a task that i perform seldom,
because it is not as easy as in windows.
| i realized that even with the installdvd there where no packages that
could manage this, he got no net so watching dvd got a strange session
copying software from a knoppix cd... (did not work as expected...)

| anyway, what id like to propose to you is that you need package media
disks.
| offline users or low bandwidth users cannot download hundred of
megabytes of additional software, but they often have cdrom drives.
| of course there are too many packages available to suit all users but
these packages can be ordered:
| (example, discuss that!)
| development:
| compiler, kdevelop, eclipse, librarys, csv, documentation
| office:
| ooffice, koffice, browser, money, instant messaging
| mmedia:
| player, ripper, (audio|video)editors, imageviewers, example media
| network:
| analyzers, generators, webserver, browser, instant messaging
| games:
| games (llgp.org <http://llgp.org>)
| a mounted disc should be available as installable in the packagelist.
|
| this would prevent these new users from leaving linux from
disapointment of missing packages.
| a user cannot get to a internetcafe for every dependency a package has!
|
| i hope that i can deliver two or more cds to my switching clients with
the next releases.

| thanks for your time
|
| --
| attack terror bomb fire blow airplane 2006-05-04 03:02:01
| explosion friend money credit card secret confidential
| skyscraper death kill al quaeda cai police gun shoot osama
| cia fbi dea mi5 nsc bka usss nsa kgb fsb g10 pope
|
| h: md5 hack sleep war destruction white house pentagon
| blood trojan virus beheading unforgiven god islam iraq
| busch kennedy massacre soccer counter countdown alien
| ufo file
|
| please report other patterns that may lead to storage
| in high security government databases.
|
| جديد الموقع

- --
~   Andrew Millar (andy-mail at priorityonline.net)