offline

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Wed Aug 17 08:11:41 UTC 2005

me wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am not a ubuntu user but i am interrested in the positive
> development of this distribution. your system is suitable for end
> users that like to switch to linux. my preference is too complicated
> but i am capable to design it so i can use gentoo.

snip
good :)

> i hope that i can deliver two or more cds to my switching clients with
> the next releases.

What I do in that type of situation is to capture all the content of
/var/cache/apt/archives/
on my own machine so as to have a suitable archive of updated packages.
Build a CD or fifty and drag that around with me, when I create a new
machine I have all the materials to bring a user up the latest bug fix.
I use:
mkisofs  -o foo.iso foo/
sudo cdrecord -p -v dev=/dev/hd* foo.iso
This works for me, what might not be obvious to a beginner is that foo
is a word used for random file names and should be replaced with actual
file names.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley