Ubuntu-Chicago Speak Up

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 1 06:07:50 BST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 23:30, John Quigley wrote:
> Rich, et. al.:
> > Cool John, welcome to the group.
>
> Thank you, sir!  Sorry for not making my presence known earlier, I
> should have introduced myself when I subscribed.
>
> > I just hooked up with the CoD LUG, just tonight actually since I am
> > taking some classes there and they are quite close.
>
> Tell them the Chicago LUG sends a hearty "hello!"
>
> > Anywho, i know you are a  hacker, and we have a lot of guys that
> >
>  > want to learn, so a future hackfest might be in order ;)
>
> I've been known to take a turn or two with code, and I'd particularly
> love to help in organizing a hack fest.  We could tackle some systems
> project specific in the Ubuntu domain, and divvy out jobs so that we
> could get everyone (even non-coders) involved.
>
> The Chicago LUG just had a successful Hack-a-thon this summer where we
> designed and wrote a file system in a single day: it's lots of fun and a
> good bonding experience.
>
> Regards,
> John Quigley

John,

That might be what the doctor ordered. I know some of the guys who are
developers just yet are very interested, but don't want to be left out. I
think something like this would be a great learning experience, that I know I
sure could use as well. I always said, I can read the code, just can't speak
it clearly yet. But hopefully these C++, C#, and Python courses will help fix
that ;)

I'm sure the guys here would be interested in learning more about a hack fest,
even if it wasn't distro dependent. Thanks again John, and I will pass the
news on to the CoD LUG, which it seems some of them have made it out to your
past events as well. Talk to you soon.

Richard Johnson <> nixternal at ubuntu.com
ubuntu.com <> kubuntu.com <> edubuntu.com <> xubuntu.com <> chi.ubuntu-us.com
online everywhere as nixternal
<><