Ubuntu-Chicago Speak Up

Eric O'Neal fyedernoggersnodden at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:30:19 BST 2006

I just started college (Computer Science major).  My Comp. Sci. 1 course is
going to be a breeze, being begginers C++ and UNIX shell usage.  My
professor is a true "guru" though, and the class is small, so I expect to
learn alot on the side (Already have, in fact -- he likes to ramble about
complex things :-P).

What have I been up to?  Well here are a few goals I'm sorta-kinda working
on:

Program an OS with a TCP/IP stack and HTTP server [over the next four years]
Get the most of school (Got some awesome philosophy-type classes, if you're
a thinker)
Program a filing system database and implement OCR for my job on campus
Get a Mac (I'll dual-boot Ubuntu, don't worry!)
Convert Fedora's man pages to XML and create a web archive of them (On of
their "bounties" for un-engaged projects)
Get a girlfriend (Lol!)

I'd be highly intersted in that file system design thing -- I want to make
one eventually for my yet stagnant OS design aspirations, but haven't a clue
where to start.

Siggy

On 9/1/06, Rich Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 31 August 2006 23:30, John Quigley wrote:
> > Rich, et. al.:
> > > Cool John, welcome to the group.
> >
> > Thank you, sir!  Sorry for not making my presence known earlier, I
> > should have introduced myself when I subscribed.
> >
> > > I just hooked up with the CoD LUG, just tonight actually since I am
> > > taking some classes there and they are quite close.
> >
> > Tell them the Chicago LUG sends a hearty "hello!"
> >
> > > Anywho, i know you are a  hacker, and we have a lot of guys that
> > >
> >  > want to learn, so a future hackfest might be in order ;)
> >
> > I've been known to take a turn or two with code, and I'd particularly
> > love to help in organizing a hack fest.  We could tackle some systems
> > project specific in the Ubuntu domain, and divvy out jobs so that we
> > could get everyone (even non-coders) involved.
> >
> > The Chicago LUG just had a successful Hack-a-thon this summer where we
> > designed and wrote a file system in a single day: it's lots of fun and a
> > good bonding experience.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Quigley
>
> John,
>
> That might be what the doctor ordered. I know some of the guys who are
> developers just yet are very interested, but don't want to be left out. I
> think something like this would be a great learning experience, that I
> know I
> sure could use as well. I always said, I can read the code, just can't
> speak
> it clearly yet. But hopefully these C++, C#, and Python courses will help
> fix
> that ;)
>
> I'm sure the guys here would be interested in learning more about a hack
> fest,
> even if it wasn't distro dependent. Thanks again John, and I will pass the
> news on to the CoD LUG, which it seems some of them have made it out to
> your
> past events as well. Talk to you soon.
>
> --
> Richard Johnson <> nixternal at ubuntu.com
> ubuntu.com <> kubuntu.com <> edubuntu.com <> xubuntu.com <>
> chi.ubuntu-us.com
> online everywhere as nixternal
> <><

My home page:  http://www.SigmaX.org

"ttocs laeno cire oshkosh b'gosh fyedernoggersnodden nicht stein bon
probiscus"

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school"
              -- Albert Einstein