Ubuntu-Chicago Recruitment

Richard Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 7 20:07:18 GMT 2006

Hello Chicago!

This week is the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Mountain View, California at the
Google headquarters. I have been in conferences since Sunday, and one of the
main topics has been Local Community Teams, LoCos, such as Ubuntu Chicago.

There seems to be a lot of changes upstream, at the main Ubuntu/Canonical,
level that may provide some excellent benefits to the team. Right now our
benefits are the CDs, being provided the privilege to advocate and support
something we believe in, and making new friends while we are doing it. I know
to maybe some that this isn't enough, and they are working on making it
better in the future.

I know that some of us communicated at the last event about gaining a greater
recruitment to the team, and I think this is greatly needed. I know it is
difficult for some of us to spend a lot of time working with the LoCo, and
that is greatly understandable.

Here are a couple of things that we need some assistance with:

	* What I would like, is if it is possible, maybe someone come up with some
recruitment plans on how we can bring more people to the team

	* Do we need a leader? - This has been brought up that we don't have a
defined leader, which personally I think is fine. Having leaders in an open
community has been known to cause turmoil, something I would like to prevent
if possible.

	* Venues - I am working on locating a neutral venue that is as cheap as
possible. Our last venue was great, however we didn't accumulate enough
support to pay for it equally.
		- If anyone has a location in mind, please do share it, and provide address
as well. I liked the last location, as it was pretty neutral for a majority
of us. The Cook/DuPage border isn't to bad either.

	* About the leadership idea, no defined leader, but how about defined rolls
or positions within the team?  Or is it just better to leave this open as
well?

	* Also - WHO WANTS CDs? I have a gang of them, and we need to start spreading
them. I have 500 Edgy CDs of which you cannot get except through me right now
for the team, and I have 300+ Dapper CDs which we need to push as well as a
long term commitment.

Thanks everyone, and I hope this reaches everyone in good health and good
times. Talk to you soon!

--
.:Richard Johnson
.:nixternal at ubuntu.com
.:ubuntu.com .:kubuntu.com .:edubuntu.com .:xubuntu.com
.:http://nixternal.ubuntu-rocks.org