[Ubuntu-US-CA] Photo sharing options

seidos kdemarest at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:04:00 UTC 2010

i think it would be kind of cool if the photos were just in a directory (
ubuntucalifornia.org/photos/date ?), but i realize browsing the photos would
be something of a challenge (afaik).  perhaps someone that is interested in
viewing photos could use wget to just download them to a local folder then
do what they wish?

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Jessica Ledbetter <
jessica at jessicaledbetter.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
> > Would going with a closed-source web solution like Flickr or Picasa,
> > but which has integration with loco.ubuntu.com, be acceptable to the
> > team?
>
> I like Flickr cause it's easy and when I'm looking for a photo of
> something then I can probably find it there. I can send photos from my
> phone easily which is great for the time crunched. However, I'd be
> uploading to my account, so if you wanted an easy way to see all
> photos taken at events, there'd have to be a group or tag shared.
> Right?
>
> > Should we stick with the open source Gallery2?
>
> That could be a good long term solution. We all upload our photos to
> Flickr or Picasa so that it shows up on loco.ubuntu.com and
> then upload the nicest ones to Gallery2. That way, it's not too much
> duplication of effort if someone took a lot of photos.
>
> Also, open source is good. Dogfood. All that.
>
> > Are WordPress plugins that people have good experiences with which
> > should be considered?
>
> I have tried a lot of different WordPress plugins. I liked NextGen
> (http://nextgen-gallery.com/templates/galleryview/ ) and lightbox type
> stuff.
>
> Here is a nice list of lots of options:
>
> http://www.dynamicwp.net/articles-and-tutorials/25-most-downloaded-free-wordpress-image-gallery-plugins/
>
> Could even pull from flickr and/or picasa though having our own copy
> is nice because of reasons Lyz already mentioned.
>
> Jessica

metta