[Ubuntu-US-CA] Photo sharing options

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Wed Dec 22 17:54:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Would going with a closed-source web solution like Flickr or Picasa,
> but which has integration with loco.ubuntu.com, be acceptable to the
> team?

I like Flickr cause it's easy and when I'm looking for a photo of
something then I can probably find it there. I can send photos from my
phone easily which is great for the time crunched. However, I'd be
uploading to my account, so if you wanted an easy way to see all
photos taken at events, there'd have to be a group or tag shared.
Right?

> Should we stick with the open source Gallery2?

That could be a good long term solution. We all upload our photos to
Flickr or Picasa so that it shows up on loco.ubuntu.com and
then upload the nicest ones to Gallery2. That way, it's not too much
duplication of effort if someone took a lot of photos.

Also, open source is good. Dogfood. All that.

> Are WordPress plugins that people have good experiences with which
> should be considered?

I have tried a lot of different WordPress plugins. I liked NextGen
(http://nextgen-gallery.com/templates/galleryview/ ) and lightbox type
stuff.

Here is a nice list of lots of options:
http://www.dynamicwp.net/articles-and-tutorials/25-most-downloaded-free-wordpress-image-gallery-plugins/

Could even pull from flickr and/or picasa though having our own copy
is nice because of reasons Lyz already mentioned.

Jessica