[Ubuntu-US-CA] Photo sharing options

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 21 21:14:49 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

This was brought up at the meeting on Sunday
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10December19) and it
was decided to bring the discussion to the mailing list.

Sharing photos post-event has been a bit of a challenge for the team.
Typically we link to personal photos on flickr, picasaweb and/or our
own blogs/websites, sometimes we'll upload a few key photos from the
event to the wiki, but there hasn't been a consolidated strategy for
collecting all photos, and making sure they are kept around (photos on
flickr, picasaweb and personal blogs have a tendancy of expiring,
moving or otherwise disappearing).

loco.ubuntu.com now has support for a team flickr or picasa account so
that photos will show up directly on
http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-california

We also have the option of using gallery2 on the Linode (where
ubuntu-california.org lives), but I have found it to be a bit of a
challenge to maintain securely in the long-term.

What are the thoughts from the team?

Would going with a closed-source web solution like Flickr or Picasa,
but which has integration with loco.ubuntu.com, be acceptable to the
team?

Should we stick with the open source Gallery2?

Should just upload all our photos via SCP to a static directory on the
webserver and not worry about a CMS for manipulation/displaying?

Are WordPress plugins that people have good experiences with which
should be considered?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

--