[ubuntu-uk] Starting an IT workshop

Andres Muniz andresmp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 23:58:35 UTC 2012

----- Mensaje original -----
> Hi Andres!
>
> I've taught adults for a long time (30 years) and there's a good rule:
> start from where they're already at. So find out as much as you can
> about what they already potentially know, and also what they'd like to
> be able to do. Then plan to at least deal with the aspirations that are
> practically achievable. If you can't find out beforehand, then go for
> something basic but enjoyable: using the Internet in Ubuntu is a good
> one, emphasising its secure nature and lack of viruses.
>
> Get back to me if you need any help.
>
> On 28/06/12 22:49, Andres wrote:
> > I have just been to a local neighbourhood community [0] meeting and
> > thought ann IT workshop would help out. The group already does
> > workshops relating to gardening, bicycle maintenance and such.
> >
> > My question is: how do I propose it in your experience?
> > What I have for the moment is an old laptop,
> > I would like to order a bunch ubuntu CDs if I can to hand out
> > I know my way around computers but I'm not a professional but I think I
> > have a lot of patience explaining IT stuff to children and adults.
> > I like talking to people about using libreoffice instead of MS office,
> > ubuntu instead of windows,...
> > The community can offer an enclosed place "The little House" or the
> > library. Both can take about 10 people.
> >
> > Would it be best to start with something simple? or look alliance with
> > some other community that already exists and are looking for a place to
> > do some sort of mini workshop. This is what they did with the bicycle
> > workshop.
> >
> > So I was asked to source some info to take back to the meeting for next
> > month. Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >
> > [0] http://www.hamunitedgroup.org.uk
> >

> --
> Beatrix E. Groves
> BA Hons (Educ) LCGI MAPTT MIFL QTLS
> President, Institute for Learning (IfL)
> General Secretary, Association of Part-Time Tutors (APTT)
> Email:    beagroves at gmail.com
> Email:   bea at beagroves.net
> Web:       http://www.beagroves.net
> Blog:    http://beagroves.tumblr.com

wow people! Thanks for all your help! Have a lot of reading to get on with. I'll write a plan up so that i can discuss it with the comunity. And you all, if I may.

Definately would not like to fix windows. Nor macs.

In case someone is in the TW10 and is looking for a place  something similar, please let me know.

oh! Just got confirmation that I have internet access  as well!