[ubuntu-uk] Awareness-Raising Campaign Idea (was Ubuntu CNR deal)

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Mon Feb 12 20:33:29 GMT 2007

Hi all,

> We have to ask ourselves why we use Linux over other OS's and
> why ubuntu over other distro's. I think you will find many different
> answers.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this has hit upon something
that's been bubbling up in my brain and I think it's appropriate to
share it with the rest of the list.

I have a vision of an awareness-raising advertising campaign based
around why we choose to use FLOSS and possibly why we chose Ubuntu in
particular.  You know how sometimes someone will ask you why you do
something, you give a long-winded explanation, qualify it with an
example... then sum it up with something like "It's a bloke thing."?  I
thought something like that would make for a catchy tag line and I came
up with a few:

  "It's a standards thing."
  "It's an openness thing."
  "It's a freedom thing."
  "It's a security thing."
  "It's a stability thing."
  "It's a community thing."

I think the latter is especially relevant to Ubuntu.  I've had a think
about the content of some of them too.  The biggest problem I have is
actually making them happen -- I can't draw for toffee, so I doubt I'd
be able to storyboard them very well.  I might be able to explain the
ideas to someone who could though.

What do people think about this kind of campaign?  They could take the
form of short TV clips, possibly comic strips.  We could have other
campaign-related material like bumper stickers and leaflets with the tag
lines on.  I'd be more than happy to discuss my ideas if people are
willing to help develop them.

Cheers,

JT
James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |       VoIP: +44 (0)870 490 2407