[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu CNR deal

Stephen Morrish stephen.morrish at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:45:23 GMT 2007

On 2/12/07, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Alan Pope wrote:
> > But on Windows they are expected to install antivirus, spyware,
> operating system updates. This is all stuff they
> > *had* to learn, so why should they suddenly become mindless idiots when
> they move to Linux?
>
> Perhaps the implication is that many Windows users are already 'mindless
> idiots'. Or to be more fair, people who have bought a machine that
> already has Windows installed and just want to start using without ever
> having to understand about operating systems and how to administer them.
> Such people either haven't got any anti-virus/anti-spyware etc., or
> they asked their mate (or teenage offspring!) to do it for them.
>
> They've then probably got into a real mess and luckily run into someone
> who suggests Linux. Problem is they expect the same mindless approach!
>
> I find it odd, because no-one expects to drive a car without doing some
> learning and even taking a test, but some people expect to use a
> computer with no training/learning/effort what so ever!
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Tony Arnold, IT Security Coordinator, University of Manchester,
> IT Services Division, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
> T: +44 (0)161 275 6093, F: +44 (0)870 136 1004, M: +44 (0)773 330 0039
> E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold

I know lots of people that use Windows, very few could be described as
mindless. We have to ask ourselves why we use Linux over other OS's and why
ubuntu over other distro's. I think you will find many different answers.
When I first looked at Linux several years ago, installing software was a
real nightmare. The Linux community responded to this problem and the result
is that now it is easier to install new programs under Linux than Windows.
So much so that there are now programs for Windows that ape the Linux
experience (AppSnap)

Given that projects like "Automatrix" and "Easy" are so popular shows that
there is a need for them. Issue have arisen from using them, I think that
addressing these issue by bringing a solution "in house" is an excellent
idea.

There will always be the purists that will want to everything for
themselves, but these people probably don't use ubuntu anyway.

One of the things that made me choose ubuntu was the mature nature of the
project, not just the technical side but the way we as users are treated. I
don't need someone to hold my hand, or protect me from the inner-workings.
But it is so much easier to tick a few boxes... If it can be made to work
properly then why not???

I understand why it's important that ubuntu should stay pure Open Source. To
turn our backs completely on propriety software will ensure Linux will
remain the preserve of the Hobbyist.

--
Regards Steve Morrish...
AKA Pendragon