Managing support (questions) regarding Ubuntu translations

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Fri Jul 10 03:28:25 UTC 2009

Right now, for doing questions and answers(support), we use a not so
popular wikipage [1].

I was looking for ways to improve the current situation and I see three

1. Improve the current wikipage to gather questions/support requests and
aswer them by editing those pages. Let people know about it.  [1]

pros: advance features for text editing

cons: email notifications are not implicit and the email notification
will contain diff ... not easy to be read
      not very intuitive for this usage. many users will prefer to fill
a bug or ask a question in Launchpad

2. Use Ubuntu Answer section from Launchpad [2]

pros: search/filter using LP builtin seach
      track the status of a support ticket
      assign questions to a person
      builtin FAQ feature
      workflow can be kept in Launchpad (no need of external tools)
      email notification system just works (email content is easy to
read/filter)
      easy to move questions between Ubuntu / Ubuntu Translations /
Rosetta / other project
      bugs can be linked with questions

cons: a huge amount of noise for questions regarding Ubuntu Translations

3. Use Ubuntu Translations Answer section from Launchpad [3]

pros: all pros from Ubuntu Answers + no noise regarding Ubuntu
Translations

cons: most probably users will ask for support in Ubuntu and not in
Ubuntu Translations

========================

I am not happy at all with the way MoinMoin is sending email
notification for page changes and this is why I have done some work in
trying to implement solution from point 3.
I tried to move the content of the wikipage page to FAQs from Launchpad
[4] and also improve them. I'm still working at their content
(spellcheck and improve the way ideas are written)

I have excluded the solution of using a mailing list for managing
support as I was not able to find any real advantage.

Please note that if we consider it is best, I am ready to move them back
to a wikipage.

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/TranslatorsQuestions
[2] https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu