Some Kubuntu translations love

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 3 09:43:09 UTC 2009

El dc 01 de 07 de 2009 a les 12:08 +0800, en/na Zhengpeng Hou va
escriure:
> Hi David,
>
> 2009/6/29 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Following what we discussed at UDS regarding improving Kubuntu
> > translations, I'd like to propose a couple of things with which we can
> > kickstart the process:
> >
> > 1) Getting translation templates into shape
> >
> > As it has been pointed out before, some of the Kubuntu translation
> > templates in Launchpad are not up-to-date, and there is currently no way
> > to track their changes automatically.
> >
> > Some time ago the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators (UTC) team [1] was
> > created in order to let the translation community members to completely
> > manage translation templates without having to depend on the Launchpad
> [...]
> >
> > Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. will be very welcome.

Hi Zhenpeng,

> I still concern about how can we benefit from upstream's l10n job,
> like kde china, we have finished a lot
> http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/team/zh_CN/
> most of the pillars of kde4 stuffs were translated with high quality.
> >
> Cheers
> Zhengpeng Hou

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Can you describe the exact problem? From what we've already talked I
recall it's about quality issues with downstream Kubuntu translations
overriding the upstream KDE ones.

If that is the case, I'd like to point you to this e-mail from Danilo
[1] in which he describes the change of translation precedence policy in
Launchpad (that was in Dec 2008). There are a couple of additional
e-mails by Jeroen [2] and Henning [3] which further clarify the details.

Please do read them, since they are quite comprehensive and explain the
workflow quite well. But basically, it all boils down to this quote:

"now upstream ("packaged") translations will be given more priority in
specific cases. Yet, Launchpad Translations keeps the ability to
override any specific upstream translation if so is desired."

Ubuntu translators should only explicitly change upstream translations
if it's a genuine bug fix, so that users can benefit from those fixes
through the regular language pack releases. They should then submit
those changes upstream, for example using the "partial PO export"
feature [4].

I see you are already a member of both upstream and downstream
translation teams, which in my experience is the best setup for good
collaboration in that sense.

I think the problem you might have at the moment is that some of those
strings were altered in the past and have remained as "Changed in
Launchpad" ever since.

If that is the case, I think the best solution would be to follow the
steps in the "Recommended convergence path" section from Danilo's e-mail
[1] and make a one time effort to revert all relevant "Changed in
Launchpad" strings back to "packaged".

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David.

Note: CC'ing ubuntu-translators, since this might be of interest to them
and they might like to share their experiences as well.

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2008-December/001994.html
[2]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2009-January/002061.html