Handling GTK stock icon translations

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Dec 7 03:55:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

This is just an informative post in case someone is not aware of this
issue.

Lucian Grijincu brings to our attention the issues of GTK stock icon
names included in the translations.

In general the GTK stock icon strings should not be made available for
translations.

They are strings like "gtk-ok", "gtk-cancel" , "gtk-back" etc

If you are a translator, maybe you have encountered such strings while
translating.
I don't recommend changing those strings. Please consider reporting them
us bugs.
Changing them will prevent the translated application from displaying
GTK stock icons.

If you are a developer, please don't mark those strings for translation,
unless there is a good reason for letting translators changing them. If
this is the case, please add a comment just before that line, informing
translators how they should change that strings.
If there is any need of translating those strings please let me know.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/493371

--
Adi Roiban