Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 218

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 3 22:20:43 UTC 2011

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 218 for the month of
December 2010.

== Links to UWN ==

 * Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue218

== In This Issue ==

 * Announcing the next Ubuntu User Days Event
 * Results from the December 17th Americas Membership Board meeting
 * Results from the December Asia-Oceania Membership Board meeting
 * Welcome new Edubuntu members and an Edubuntu Developer
 * Announcing Ubuntu IRC Membership
 * Natty Alpha 1 Released
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * LoCo News
 * Launchpad News
 * Caching Ubuntu Package Downloads
 * Sound Indicator news and updates
 * Natty Translations Plans I-III
 * Ubuntu Screencasts: How To Sign the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
 * Working together to get Unity ready for Natty
 * Project Unity L10N
 * Unity Bitesize Progress Report for 20 December
 * Checking in with the Artwork Team
 * No More PS3 CD Builds for Natty
 * Paul Tagliamonte's "Myth Busted" Series
 * Ubuntu Translations Interviews: André Gondim (Brazilian Portuguese
Translation Team)
 * AskUbuntu reaches 5000 questions - 11000 answers - 7000 users - 50000 votes
 * Ubuntu Cloud Screencasts
 * Design Museum exhibition London
 * Full Circle Magazine - Issue #44
 * Full Circle Magazine - Issue #43
 * Featured Podcasts
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Monthly Team Reports: October 2010
 * Monthly Team Reports: November 2010
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 in December
 * And Much Much More

== General Community News ==

=== Announcing the next Ubuntu User Days Event ===

We are pleased to announce that the next Ubuntu User Days
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays) event is scheduled to take place
from Saturday January 29th 2011, 09:45 UTC until Sunday January 30th
2011, 03:00 UTC. To quote the wiki page, "User Days was created to be
a set of courses offered during a one day period to teach the
beginning or intermediate Ubuntu user the basics to get them started
with Ubuntu". Logs (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDaysTeam/lucid) from
the last Ubuntu User Days event are also available for anyone who
might be interested.

In order for this event to be a success, we need lots of help leading
sessions. To volunteer to lead a session, you can contact a member of
the Ubuntu User Days Team
(https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-user-days/+members) by sending an email
to theubuntu-classroom at lists.ubuntu.com mailing list or on IRC by
stopping by #ubuntu-classroom-backstage on irc.freenode.net. If you
are unsure of a topic for your session, you can use the Course
Suggestions wiki page
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDaysTeam/CourseSuggestions) as a
reference. Please be sure to pass this information along to any of
your friends who might be interested in either participating or
leading a session.


=== Results from the December 17th Americas Membership Board meeting ===

The approval results from the December 17th Americas Membership
meeting are as follows:

Jason Gerard DeRose
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JasonGerardDerose | https://launchpad.net/~jderose

Jason is the lead developer of Novacut Distributed Video Editor, with
which he seeks to make Ubuntu premier platform for professional video
production. He helped shoot the HD video and led a session on
Distributed Media Library at UDS-N. He has been a Debian user since
2000 and started using Ubuntu around the 3rd release, he was also an
early adopter of launchpad and bzr for project management.

Congratulations and welcome to this new member!


=== Results from the December Asia-Oceania Membership Board meeting ===

Adnan Quaium has achieved membership at tonight's Asia-Oceania RMB
meeting: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/maqtanim


=== Welcome new Edubuntu members and an Edubuntu Developer ===

We welcome the following Edubuntu members. They are both existing
Ubuntu members who have been involved in Edubuntu and have recently
applied for membership:

Belinda Lopez: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelindaLopez
Michael Hall: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/mhall119

Michael Hall also applied for edubuntu-dev status, which allows
uploading to the Edubuntu package set. Michael received 4 votes in
favour and is now an official Edubuntu Developer.

Thanks to both members for their involvment and we look forward to
their continued contributions!


Announcing Ubuntu Cloud Portal

Located at cloud.ubuntu.com, the Ubuntu Cloud Portal "helps new-comers
to the Ubuntu cloud community quickly find interesting information
they may care about such as documentation to read/edit, projects that
may interest them and so on. In this first release the following is


=== Announcing Ubuntu IRC Membership ===

I am pleased to announce that the Ubuntu IRC Council is now ready to
start accepting applications for Ubuntu IRC Membership
(https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-irc-members). The Ubuntu IRC Members
team represents the people who have made a significant contribution to
Ubuntu through the IRC medium. Applications to join this team are done
through a process
very similar to what you might go through
to acquire membership from any other board or council in the

Please remember, Ubuntu IRC Membership is a way for people to acquire
Ubuntu Membership for IRC contributions. Some examples of what these
might include are available on the wiki
For more general contributions, you should apply through a Regional
Membership Board (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards).

By becoming an Ubuntu IRC Member, you gain all of the benefits
granted by normal Ubuntu Membership as well as the privilege of voting
in various polls of the Ubuntu IRC community by becoming a member of
the ~ubuntu-irc-members team on Launchpad. This includes voting for
members of the Ubuntu IRC Council.

If you have any questions about Ubuntu IRC Membership, please feel
free to contact a member of the Ubuntu IRC Council


=== Natty Alpha 1 Released ===

Alpha 1 is the first in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Natty development cycle.  The Alpha images are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs,
while representing a very recent snapshot of Natty. You can download
it here:

 * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/natty/alpha-1/ (Ubuntu Desktop, Server)

Additional ISOs and torrents are also available.


== Ubuntu Stats ==

=== Bug Stats ===

 * Open (80366) -4860 over last week
 * Critical (51) +15 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (45051) +1903 over last week

* Open (80961) -4265 over last week
* Open (81824) -3402 over last week
* Open (82861) -2365 over last week
* Open (84176) -1050 over last week
* Open (84815) -411 over last week
* Open (85482) +256 over last week
* Open (85571) +345 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (UK) (0) -5415 over last week
 2. Spanish (7572) -2179 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (28557) -2546 over last week
 4. French (36114) -5231 over last week
 5. Turkish (44680) -7755 over last week

1. English (UK) (0) -5415 over last week
1. English (UK) (2) -5413 over last week
1. English (UK) (0) -5415 over last week
1. English (UK) (1) -5414 over last week
1. English (UK) (1) -5414 over last week
1. English (UK) (1) -5414 over last week
1. English (UK) (1) -5414 over last week
Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat", see
more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * disk repair evolution - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26824/
 * Localized Ubuntu Countdown - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26813/
 * No quick way to get to the target of a link/shortcut in Nautilus -
 * Show a progress bar when Nautilus is working. -
 * Merge MeMenu and MessagingMenu (indicators) -

 * Scalable horizontal size for UNITY dockbar. -
 * Academic Alliance - Ubuntu in Education -
 * Easy way to figure out the applications real name -
 * Support multiple payment options in Ubuntu Software Center -
 * Allow network history to hold larger numbers -
 * 7z is open and should be promoted by linux distros -
 * Make the information about the architecture easier to find -

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== 6th National Conference on Free Software in Tunisia ===

In a series of posts, Nizar Kerkeni discusses the National Conference
on Open Source Software in Tunisia on December 15th 2010. His posts
also include photos and videos of the event.

Tunisian LoCo meeting with Mark Shuttleworth:
Photos of the National Conference on Open Source Software in Tunisia:
Mark Shuttleworth opening keynote:
Badges: http://blog.nizarus.org/2010/12/badges

=== Ubuntu-California.org Launched! ===

Elizabeth Krumbach, one of the leadership trio of the Ubuntu
California team, talks about the process of creation and launch of the
team's new website and ideas for additional components that the team
wants to include moving forward.


== Launchpad News ==

=== Removing team polls ===

The Launchpad team announces the removal of team polls, citing
problematic user interface and feature set, and lack of popularity
(only 500 polls since inception in 2006).


=== Changing how we track Launchpad’s bugs, questions and blueprints ===

>From today, all Launchpad bugs, code, questions and blueprints are
tracked under the onelaunchpad project.

We’ve already moved everything from the individual projects over to
the parent launchpadproject. All you need do differently is
search/file bugs, questions and blueprints under thatparent Launchpad
project, rather than Rosetta, for example.

Don’t worry, though, there are redirects in place so that old links
will still work.

There are also a couple of one-time steps you may need to take:

 * Update your bug subscriptions: if you’re subscribed to individual
bugs, you need do nothing. If you’re subscribed to all bugs for a
particular project, Malone for example, you’ll now need to subscribe
to all Launchpad bugs.
 * Check your answer contact status: if you’re an answer contact for
one particular application in Launchpad, and want to continue as such,
you’ll need to become an answer contact for all of Launchpad.

To start with, bugs that we’ve merged in from one of the old
sub-projects will have a tag that shows which project it came from.
However, we’re planning to drop those tags once everyone’s settled
into using just the one project.

Our code hosting won’t change at all as we’ve always hosted code under
the parent Launchpad project.

This new approach will better reflect that Launchpad is one codebase
but will also have a big practical benefit: it’ll be easier to find
bugs and dupes because everything will be under the same project.

For more, including rationale, read the rest at:

== The Planet ==

=== Caching Ubuntu Package Downloads ===

Alan Pope has a new server and a household with several Ubuntu
systems. In addition to keeping these all updated, in the course of
testing he is required to re-download the same packages as he tests
different install methods. He discusses his use of the squid-deb-proxy
package to cache Ubuntu package downloads, speeding up testing and
putting less stress on the repositories.


=== Sound Indicator news and updates ===

In a guest post by Conor Curran on Jorge Castro's blog, he discusses
his role as Sound Architect on the DX team within Canonical, and the
future of the Indicator Sound, the indicator which sits on the top
panel of the Ubuntu desktop.


=== Natty Translations Plans I-III ===

David Planella has written a series of posts discussing the progress
of the translations plans in Natty.

In the first he talks about the launch of Translations Stories where
they'd "like to show how translations change people’s lives for the
best, and how the work of translators has an impact on that. We’d like
to share our excitement and highlight the awesome work translators do,
and we thought that articles with translations stories would be the
perfect vehicle for that."

He also discusses the steps you can take to contribute.


In the second he announces Translations Training Sessions. They wish
to hold "a series of regular events where translators can just attend
and learn, in a hands-on way, all the different aspects of translating
our favourite distro. There, they should also be able to ask their
questions and discuss any topics related to translations. Another goal
is to also provide material for all teams to adapt and reuse for their
own training events for new translators"


In the third he announces the the Ubuntu Translations Portal inital
test deployment. "The idea behind the portal is to aggregate all
existing content and to be the main entry point to the translations
community for new contributors, providing them answers, inspiration
and excitement. For experienced translators it will be a central point
for resources and news about translating Ubuntu."

His post gives step by step instructions on how to contribute.


=== Ubuntu Screencasts:  How To Sign the Ubuntu Code of Conduct ===

The Ubuntu Screencasts team has released their latest screen cast -
this time walking users through how to sign the Ubuntu Code of

"This screencast goes through the steps of signing the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. This is often some ones first time to use a key, so this
screencast will take you through the whole process from creating the
PGP Key to signing the Ubuntu Code of Conduct."


=== Working together to get Unity ready for Natty ===

Jono Bacon has been working hard to make the transition to Unity a
smooth, painless and providing the best user experience possible. He
highlights some of the great work that has already been done within
the community and explains how you can help out with bug fixing,
testing, design and translations.


=== Project Unity L10N ===

David Planella reports that Unity is available in more than 60
languages, but there are about 150 translation teams, in this post he
explains how you can contribute to translations in your own language.


=== Unity Bitesize Progress Report for 20 December ===

Jorge Castro introduces contributor Stefano Candori, talks about some
of the most interesting "bitesize" Unity bugs and explains how you can
get involved fixing bitesize bugs.


Also check out more Unity progress reports on Jorge's blog
Unity Status Report for 14 December: http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/2312609745
Unity Bitesize Bug Report for 7 December:
Getting Started working on Unity: http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/2084859426

=== Checking in with the Artwork Team ===

John Baer showcases some of the exceptional Edubuntu desktop wallpaper


=== No More PS3 CD Builds for Natty ===

Amber Graner writes that in a post to the ubuntu-devel-announce list,
Ubuntu developer Colin Watson announced that the daily PlayStation 3
CD builds have ceased. Reasons cited included changes by Sony which
make it more difficult to run Ubuntu on newer systems and lack of
developers to keep up with having the builds working properly.


=== Paul Tagliamonte's "Myth Busted" Series ===

Paul Tagliamonte has written a series of blog entries he calls "Myth
Busted" to highlight some of the myths surrounding Ubuntu and the
Ubuntu community.

Myth Busted #1: Ubuntu Hackers are Canonical Employees:
Myth Busted #2: You need to program to contribute to Ubuntu:
Myth Busted #3: Unity is “Lock-in”: http://blog.pault.ag/post/2082819050
Myth Busted #4: By pandering to non-technical users, they will not
give back: http://blog.pault.ag/post/2092032342
Myth Busted #5: Ubuntu is linux, linux is all white text on a black
screen, don’t give me that! http://blog.pault.ag/post/2109223148
Myth Busted #6: Ubuntu is only for n00bs and not for serious linux
users ( n00buntu ): http://blog.pault.ag/post/2338202559

=== Ubuntu Translations Interviews: André Gondim (Brazilian Portuguese
Translation Team) ===

As a part of the Ubuntu Translations Interviews, this interview
features André Gondim, the Brazilian Portuguese translation team


=== AskUbuntu reaches 5000 questions - 11000 answers - 7000 users -
50000 votes ===

Ralph Janke reports on the success of AskUbuntu.com and offers the
following statistics as of December 15th:

 * # of questions: 5028
 * # of answers: 11836
 * # of comments: 17886
 * # of votes: 50577
 * # of badges: 11526
 * # of users: 7349


=== Ubuntu Cloud Screencasts ===

On November 22nd Ahmed Kamal announced that they were looking for
volunteers to help create a series of Ubuntu Cloud Screencasts.


There are now 3 such screencasts available at

Ubuntu Server in Amazon EC2 Cloud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYJLIfVuSMY

Introducing Ubuntu Cloud Portal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QU68TrGXMU

Ubuntu Cloud-Init Technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zL3BdbKyGY

== In Other News ==

=== Design Museum exhibition London ===

Design Museum London has asked Bruno Maag from Dalton Maag, the firm
which designed the new Ubuntu font to put on an exhibition of his
work. In collaboration with the Canonical design team, "the exhibition
will be in two parts a substantial part of which will be featuring the
Ubuntu font."


=== Full Circle Magazine - Issue #44 ===

Full Circle - the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community
are proud to announce the release of our forty-fourth issue.

This month:
 * Command and Conquer.
 * How-To : Program in Python - Part 18, Backup With Wubi and Link
Shortening with Phurl.
 * Review - Unetbootin.
 * Top 5 - BitTorrent Clients.

plus: Interviews, Ubuntu Games, My Opinion, My Story, and much much more!

Get it while it's hot! http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-44/

=== Full Circle Magazine - Issue #43 ===

Full Circle - the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community
are proud to announce the release of our forty-third issue.

This month:
 * Command and Conquer.
 * How-To : Program in Python - Part 17, Virtualize Part 6 - Debian &
Xen, and Editing Photos With Raw Therapee.
 * Review - Conky & Untangle.
 * Top 5 - Backup Ideas.
 * Readers Survey 2010 Comments & Replies!

plus: Interviews, Ubuntu Games, My Opinion, My Story, and much much more!

Get it while it's hot! http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-43/

== Featured Podcasts ==

=== Ubuntu UK Podcast: S03E23 – Departure of a Grand Old Man ===

Laura Cowen, Ciemon Dunville, Mark Johnson, Alan Pope and Tony
Whitmore get together for the last episode of season 3 of the Ubuntu
Podcast from the UK LoCo Team!

* OGG download High:
* OGG download Low:
* MP3 download High:
* MP3 download Low:

In this week’s show:-
 * We talk about what we’ve been doing including playing with
Diaspora, desktop coding with QT Quick, changing passwords after the
Gawker hack, taking the ITIL exam, having characters in Doctor Who The
Four Doctors named after us and geeking out with MQTT.
 * We review our predictions for 2010 from last year, and make new
ones for the year ahead.
 * In the News
 * Command Line Love – Check status of Ubuntu One file transfers
 * The Ubuntu UK Podcast Players perform a special version of “Jack
and the Beanstalk”.
 * We mention some Ubuntu related news in the
 * Finally we have your feedback


=== Full Circle Podcast 14: NFC – Nantucket Fried Chicken ===

In this episode, Narwhals, Wayland and… I almost forgot, Amnesia. With
hosts Robin Catling, Ed Hewitt and Dave Wilkins.

OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/1117/1/fullcirclepodcast_ep14_181210.ogg
MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/1117/0/fullcirclepodcast_ep14_181210.mp3


=== Ubuntu Development with Daniel Holbach ustream.tv Launches ===

On November 24th Daniel Holbach announced the launch of a series of
ustream videos he'd be doing about Ubuntu Development.


The past vidoes are now available for viewing, stay tuned for more!

Ubuntu Development: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11079901
Getting Set Up: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11339458

=== Ubuntu Translations with David Planella ustream.tv Launches ===

David Planella has launched a ustream.tv series covering translations,
he says " I'll be talking about how Ubuntu is translated, how
translation teams work, and whatever else time allows. On later shows
I'll focus in more detail on particular subjects (upstreams, best
practices, etc. – I'll also take requests!)."


The past vidoes are now available for viewing, stay tuned for more!

First Ubuntu Translations Videocast: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11209840
First Steps Translating Ubuntu: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11466931

== Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings ==

 * 3 Dec 2010 Release Team Meeting:
 * 6 Dec 2010 Stable Release Team
 * 7 Dec 2010 Kernel Team Meeting:
 * 7 Dec 2010 Desktop Team Meeting:
 * 7 Dec 2010 Server Team Meeting:
 * 10 Dec 2010 Release Team Meeting:
 * 14 Dec 2010 Kernel Team Meeting:
 * 14 Dec 2010 Desktop Team Meeting:
 * 14 Dec 2010 Server Team Meeting:
 * 16 Dec 2010 Mobile Team Meeting:
 * 17 Dec 2010 Release Team Meeting:
 * 21 Dec 2010 Desktop Team Meeting:
 * 23 Dec 2010 Mobile Team Meeting:

== Monthly Team Reports: October 2010 ==

=== Ubuntu Governance ===

==== Americas Regional Membership Board ====

The approval results from the October 21st Americas Membership meeting
are as follows:

 * Ahmed Kamal (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AhmedKamal |

==== Developer Membership Board ====

Developer Membership Board meeting 2010-10-11 19:00 UTC

 * Chair: Michael Bienia

 * Present: Cody A.W. Somerville, Colin Watson, Stéphane Graber, Soren Hansen

 * Absent: Emmet Hikory

 * Action review:

   * [ACTION] Cody Somerville to send e-mail requesting feedback from
developers on Marco Rodrigues application to participate in Ubuntu
Development. (→ Didn't happen yet.)

 * Administrative Matters

   * Review Marco Rodrigues participation in Ubuntu Development

     Further discussion on how to proceed with Marco's request.

     Deferred without any decision to the next meeting.

 * MOTU Applications

   * Felix Geyer (debfx) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FelixGeyer/MOTUApplication)

     Approved: 5 for, 0 against, 0 abstained.

 * Next meeting

   * Date: October 25th 2010, 12:00 UTC

   * Chair: TBD

Meeting Log (http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/10/11/%23ubuntu-meeting.html)

==== IRC Council ====

 * Ubuntu IRC Council Meeting 2010-10-09

  * Attendance: nhandler (chair), Seeker, jussi, topyli, tsimpson,
rww, Tm_T, ikonia, IdleOne

  * [TOPIC] -offtopic 'support' discussion policy

   * Agreed to defer discussion about the policy until the next
meeting due to Pici not being around

  * [TOPIC] All core channel ops should have +o in -ops

   * Agree to treat #ubuntu-ops like other core channels in need of
more OPs at least until core-ops are setup

   * It was felt that midnight to 9am UK time is the general area
needing more OPs

   * nhandler to send out email about recruiting OPs for #ubuntu-ops

  * [TOPIC] Copying access list of #ubuntu to #ubuntu+1

   * Agreed that being an #ubuntu operator also grants operator access
in #ubuntu+1

   * tsimpson to document change on the OP application wiki page, send
email to ML, update access lists, and update teams on LP

  * nhandler to do post-meeting tasks

 * IRC Council meeting 31 Oct 2010

  * Attendance: topyli (chair), nhandler, Pici, tsimpson

  * TOPIC: Failure to document blanket ban policy

   * ACTION: Pici to document ikonia's namespace ban proposal

  * TOPIC: Failure to respond / follow up on pending actions

   * Discussed delegation, mailing list responsiveness, and related
items. Council admits slowness.

  * TOPIC: High level council overviews

   * Discussed current council's activity

   * Pointed out the Team Reports exist

  * TOPIC: Discussion about approved/non-approved shell hosts access
to Ubuntu channels (revisit)

   * ACTION: topyli to send formal agreement to ikonia's suggestion on
mailing list

  * TOPIC: Clearing the ban list

   * Decided to clear all old bans without comments on them, giving
ops a week's grace time to document important bans

   * ACTION: nhandler to send mail about the sweep

==== LoCo Council ====

 * We had a LoCo Council meeting on October 19th. Topics discussed:

  * UDS-M Blueprint

   * Sit down one night next week at UDS via skype/gobby and spend 2
hours getting UDS-M bp all done

  * UDS-N Blueprint

   * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubuntutheproject-n-loco-council

  * LoCo Team {re}approvals

   * Ubuntu-NI - Re-approved

   * Ubuntu-US-CO - Re-approved

   * Ubuntu-US-OH - Re-approved

==== Technical Board ====

 * Meeting 2010-10-05

  * Chair: Colin Watson

  * Present: Kees Cook, Matt Zimmerman, Martin Pitt

  * Apologies: Mark Shuttleworth

  * Guests: Michael Vogt, Jamie Strandboge

  * Action review

   * Martin Pitt to ask Martin Pool about bzr self test instructions
on installed system -- DONE

   * Kees to add bzr selftest to qa-regression-testing project -- DONE

   * Martin to add bzr microrelease exception to StableReleasePolicy -- DONE

  * Decide/document ubuntu-archive interaction with ARB packages

   * Michael Vogt confirmed that extras.ubuntu.com is a mirror of a
PPA owned by the ARB, which means that ubuntu-archive will have no
direct interaction with it as it stands.

   * [ACTION] Colin to ensure that documentation on nature of
extras.ubuntu.com archive makes it into process docs, and ensure that
ARB legality checks are synchronised with those of ubuntu-archive

  * Decide on permission changes documented in Bug: 174375 - Matt Zimmerman

   * The TB voted in favour of Brian's proposal.

   * Martin noted that bug targeting needs to be more open than just
release managers (Brian's proposal asks that it shouldn't exclude
uploaders).  There was no disagreement.  The main goal here is to
separate the blueprint and bug permissions currently aggregated into

   * [ACTION] Matt to follow up with Brian on Bug: 174375

  * Chromium security updates (continuation of previous discussion)

   * General consensus seems to be that we can drop the seven-day
waiting period on promotion to -updates for chromium-browser, but
should not drop -proposed and some kind of verification.

   * While this still seems too immature for main, the security team
will need to treat it essentially like the non-free Flash plugin: it's
universe and therefore theoretically unsupported by the security team,
but in practice we know lots of people use it and act accordingly,
running updates through all the usual checklists.  Regressions on
individual web pages and such won't merit a USN, though.

   * Jamie says that qa-regression-testing has a semi-automatic script
which should catch any huge issues here.

   * The board is currently awaiting a proposal from the principal
uploader, Fabien Tassin, and a formal vote will wait for that.

  * No new community bugs to look at

  * Next chair: Kees Cook

=== Ubuntu Development Teams ===

==== Kubuntu Team ====

===== Development =====

 * Final release of Kubuntu 10.10|Maverick Meerkat

 * First of several Efika MX Smarttop systems (armel), donated through
powerdeveloper.org, for Kubuntu development is operational and
available to kubuntu-dev for porting work.

===== Packaging =====

 * KDE SC 4.5.2 is available
(http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.5.2) from Kubuntu Updates PPA

 * KDevelop 4.1 Release Candidate
is ready for testing from Kubuntu Beta Backports PPA

 * KOffice 2.3 Beta 1 is available also
for testing in Kubuntu Beta Backports PPA

 * QtCreator 2.1 Beta 1 is packaged

===== Community =====

 * Council met (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Meetings) to consider
the membership of Valorie Zimmerman (valorie)
(https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ValorieZimmerman): Launchpad
(https://launchpad.net/~valorie-zimmerman) 15 October 2010

 * Many team members attended UDS (http://summit.ubuntu.com/):
Riddell, ScottK, Apachelogger, Shadeslayer, Rbelem, Maco, agateau,
mgraesslin, darkwingduck, Persia, Jussi, Valorie, and from Qt, Thiago,
Densi, Zeno from 25-29 October, in Orlando, Florida. Our sessions were
well-attended and productive: Proceedings

  * Kubuntu Team at UDS

  * Shadeslayer and Agateau gave well-received lightning talks.

==== Xubuntu Team ====

===== Bug Triage =====

 * Still squashing bugs. This will be an on-going process.

===== Packaging, Development, & Testing =====

 * We tested Maverick Meerkat Release Candidate with good results.

 * We released Xubuntu 10.10 on time.

 * Inclusion of Xfce 4.7.x (future 4.8) is being worked on in natty.

===== Website & Marketing =====

 * Xubuntu needs a new Marketing Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested or email charlie-tca at ubuntu.com

===== Artwork =====

 * We still need a good plymouth theme.

 * Charlie is working with the Ubuntu Artwork Team to draw a
specification for xubuntu artwork in Natty Narwhal.

===== Community =====

 * We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would
like to keep word out of the changes being made, as well as new

 * We are attempting to submit new articles to Ubuntu Weekly News at
least once a month about Xubuntu.

===== Documentation =====

 * Xubuntu needs a new Documentation Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested or email charlie-tca at ubuntu.com

==== Ubuntu Studio ====

 * Ubuntu Studio Maverick Meerkat 10.10 released, mirth and frivolity ensued

 * Development for Natty teeters on the precipice of beginning -

   * moderating package selection (i.e. adding and removing packages)

     * developed around task focused workflow -

     * helps define the package selection -

     * additional metapackages might be created for finer installation
control of audio apps

     * eliminate duplicate functionality (i.e. remove LADSPA plugins
if the same plugins are available in LV2 format)

   * Art development

     * plymouth theme

 * Website Update

   * fleshing out audience

   * developing purpose for audience

   * identifying components for various page

   * evaluating mock-ups

 * Began to assign team positions

   * testing lead/contact/liaison - rlamerio

   * IRC user support - holstein

 * Kernel development

   * working with Ubuntu Kernel Team to get -lowlatency kernel into archives

   * began developing team and plan to test -lowlatency and -realtime
kernels https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime

=== Ubuntu LoCo Teams ===

==== Asturian Team ====

 * 29 October - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 22 October - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 15 October - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 10 October - Release Party (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/124)
Ubuntu 10.10!. Pictures (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/129).

 * 8 October - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 1 October - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

==== Belgian Team ====

 * October 1st: finished our first ever Team report (for September)

 * October 10th: booth at Computer Fair in Kortrijk

 * October 17th: booth at Computer Fair in Brugge

 * October 17th: install fest @ the offices of De Wereld Morgen
(social news site). Thanks folks! Also photos

 * Weekly IRC meetings
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/IrcMeetings/Reports) for
coordination on October 07th, 14th and 28th

 * Further work has been done on the drupal module that integrates our
support points map (http://ubuntu-be.org/nl/supporters) into the
Drupal-based site (no map yet, but that's being worked on, and the
data backend is there)

 * The new site layout based on the new Ubuntu branding is being
tested on the "staging" server now.

 * Preparing for demo/talk @ Zeus computer club of UGent (Ghent University).

==== Canadian Team ====

 * Ubuntu Hours in Waterloo, ON (Oct. 6) and Ottawa, ON (Oct. 14)

 * Maverick Meerkat release parties!

   * Ottawa, 10-10-10 at 10:10am.

   * Kitchener-Waterloo, Oct. 16

   * Toronto, Oct. 17

 * IRC Meeting, Oct. 17

 * Created a forum: l'Internauta (http://canada.ubuntuforums.org/)

==== Catalan Team ====

 * October 1st: Ubuntu guide in Catalan makes recommendation for the
month: http://ca.wikibooks.org/wiki/Usuari:Miquel_Adroer/Llibres/Guia_Ubuntu_10.04

 * October 7th: visit to the Maverick release party venue to plan for
the event: http://ctug.cat/

 * October 10th: announce for inscriptions to Maverick release party.

 * October 13th: Ubuntu LoCo Team appearence in most in leader
newspaper in Catalonia:

 * October 26th: JosepGallart spoke about Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat and
the release party on radio program
(http://www.vilaweb.cat/linternauta) from Vilaweb.

==== French Team ====

 * October 2nd - Premier Samedi (http://www.premier-samedi.org/) in
Paris. This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60
people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system.

 * October 3rd - Working session to coordinate task to be done before
announcing November Ubuntu Party in Paris (meeting information

 * October 4th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * October 7th - releasing new forum theme : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/

 * October 10th - Release party in a restaurant in Paris, with around
42 guests (invitation (http://meerkat.ubuntu-party.org/paris/))

 * October 11th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * October 17th - Ubuntu Party organisation meeting and working
session (minutes

 * October 18th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * October 18th and 19th - Working session on packaging Ubuntu French
Edition CD for shipment

 * October 22nd - Release party in a restaurant in Lyon (invitation

 * October 25th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * October 26th - Ubuntu Party organisation meeting on IRC
(minutes (http://wiki.ubuntu-party.org/index.php/Paris10.10/CR261010))

 * October 31st - Ubuntu Party organisation meeting and working
session (topics

==== Greek Team ====

 * Attendance of Athens Digital Week 2010 (http://www.athensdigitalweek.org/)

 * Forum's poll on success of transition to 10.10 here
(in Greek - translation provided on request)

 * Addition of some more translations to team's wiki, translators busy
both in lp and upstream, attempt begun to get closer to 100%.

 * Community members participate in Ubuntu manual project.

 * Preparing for Xmas with the first set of season cards (example

 * ChaniaLUG (in Crete) organised a party 30/10, 14 members attended,
had fun with food and drink and distribution of 10.10 CDs

==== Hungarian Team ====

 * Presenting at the Software Freedom Day at Szeged on Ubuntu (October
8): Photo 1 (http://sfd.org.hu/p1340318), Photo 2

 * Presentations at the LOK (Linux in the Education Conference) at
Budapest (October 16): Flickr

 * Maverick Meerkat Release Party after the LOK on October 16

 * Three new learning modules have been added to the Hungarian Ubuntu
Education Portal (OpenOffice.org Writer, OpenOffice.org Calc,
Operating System Basics): edu.ubuntu.hu (http://edu.ubuntu.hu)

 * The number of registered users on ubuntu.hu has surpassed 19200

 * We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month
as usual: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/IRCMeetings

 * We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news: http://ubuntu.hu

 * We did various translation-related tasks

==== Ubuntu Ireland ====

 * On Sunday 10th of October, we had a release party to celebrate
Maverick Meerkat. We started off in Jimmy Chung's for a Chinese
Buffet. Followed by a trip to the The Market Bar,. To add a bit of fun
to the day we had a ubuntu quiz. Questions from the quiz are here
(http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tdr/blog/?p=39). A nice write up is here
). Photos here (http://pix.ie/ubuntuie/album/390376/ ). And we had
cake (http://www.lczajkowski.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cake.jpg )

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2010-10-20) was held at
8pm Irish time on Wednesday 20th October 2010.

 *On Wednesday 27th of October the Dublin Ubuntu the  Dublin
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/506/detail/) took place at the new
time of 19:00 in the Trinity Capital Hotel.

 *On Thursday 28th of October the  Limerick
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/507/detail/)Ubuntu Hour took place
in the Absolute Hotel at 18:00.

 * A member of our loco, czajkowski headed off to UDS-N

==== Ubuntu Israel ====

 * We are going to unite the DB from the old and new forums.

 * We are going to keep our cooperation with the Ilan Ramon center to
help them with ubuntu and more stuff.

 * We got a donation of 100 shekels (about 20 EURO).

==== Japanese Team ====

 * We released Ubuntu 10.10 Japanese Remix on 16th October.

   * http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/News/ubuntu1010-desktop-ja-remix

 * Team members, Fumihito Yoshida and Ikuya Awashiro wrote articles
that features Ubuntu 10.10 for the November issue of Software Design.

   * http://gihyo.jp/magazine/SD/archive/2010/201011

==== Nicaraguan Team ====

 * 03 Oct:

    * POSOL Ep.15 (http://podcast.softwarelibre.org.ni/?p=259)
released by Team POSOL (Leandro Gomez, Jose Ernesto Davila, Norman
Garcia and Marcelo Gutierrez).

 * 05 Oct:

    * Ubuntu Open Week in Spanish
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek_ES/openweekMaverickLog), team
members partipipated in Ubuntu Open Week in Spanish Bash.

 * 17 Oct:

    * Maverick Meerkat Release Party
(http://linuxtour.org/MaverickReleaseParty) Maverick Meerkat Release
Party @ Hotel Mansion Teodolinda

==== Serbian Team ====

 * October 3rd:  Regular Team meeting on IRC

 * October 5th: Ubuntu 10.10 Release party scheduled for October 23th.
HERE (http://www.ubuntu-rs.org/forum/Thread-Ubuntu-10-10-Party)

 * Oktober 10th: Ubuntu LoCo team participate in BlogOpen festival,
Novi Sad, Serbia Link: HERE (http://www.blogopen.rs/)

 * October 23th: Release party successfully finished in Novi Sad
capital town of Vojvodina province. Photos :

 * October 23rd  : Future collaboration with LUGoNS (Linux User Group
of Novi Sad) detailed and improved.

 * October month : Further work on translation of Ubuntu Manual
continued, less then 150 lines left to go.

==== South African Ubuntu team ====

 * 2 October: Ubuntu Hour in Stellenbosch
at Gino's Pizza place.  +- 11 people.

 * 10 October: Release parties, how to set up a mirror
(http://my-ubuntu-day.blogspot.com/search/label/Maverick) team add
more links to pics here please? Gauteng

 * 16 October: Release party Pretoria

 * 18 October: IRC meeting (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20101018)

 * 25 October: Bazaar presentation to FJUG
- Pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/102434377866376735230/FJUGBazaar?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjL_rPq_4uNNg&feat=directlink)

==== Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team ====

 * Participation and organisation of the "Ubuntu Day" at the Institute
of Computer Science and Mathematics of Monastir.

    * Organisation : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TunisianTeam/EventISIMM10.10

    * Report (in French) :

    * Photo Album : http://ubuntu.nizarus.org/AtomCellEvent1010

==== Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team ====

 * IRC meeting held on the 19th

 * UDS was attended by a number of members in person and through
remote participation

 * Work has started on a new team website following the refreshed
Ubuntu branding

 * Launch parties for Maverick were held around the country

 * 2 Episodes of UUPC

  * http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2010/10/13/s03e18-laughing-gas/

  * http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2010/1027/s03e19-if-we-only-knew/

==== United States Teams ====

===== Ubuntu California =====

Team meetings:

 * Sunday, October 3rd

 * Sunday, October 17th

Team changes:

 * Oct 4: Team Leadership Election Announcement

 * Oct 6: In accordance with proper naming policy, moved channel from
#ubuntu-california to #ubuntu-us-ca and had appropriate redirects put
in place

 * Discussed (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2010-October/001338.html)
and approved Leadership
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Leadership) document

 * Oct 25: In accordance with request from the California Team Leader
Announcement (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil), log bot was
brought in to channel, logs can now be found at

 * Oct 27: (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2010-October/001402.html)
announces the following members as the new trio of leaders:

   * Jack Deslippe (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/jdeslip) (jdeslip)

   * Elizabeth Krumbach (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/lyz) (pleia2)

   * David Wonderly (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DarkwingDuck) (DarkwingDuck)

Release parties:

 * Wiki page for all release events: BerkeleyLUG Maverick Release
Party (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/MaverickRelease)

 * Oct 10: (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/444/detail/)

 * Oct 10: Linux Machine Show (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/443/detail/)

 * Oct 11: Hollywood 10.10.10 Release Party

Ubuntu Hours:

 * Oct 7: Lake Forest (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/358/detail/)

 * Oct 21: Lake Forest (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/359/detail/)

 * Oct 21: Mountain View (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/474/detail/)

 * Oct 30: San Diego (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/524/detail/)

Other events:

 * Oct 9: Silicon Valley CodeCamp: Beginning Ubuntu GNU/Linux Development

  * Wiki: 10.10 release party

  * LP Directory: (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/424/detail/)

 * Oct 24: East Bay Maker Faire

  * Wiki: (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/EastBayMakeFaire)

  * LP Directory: (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/486/detail/)

 * Oct 28: Lighting the Maverick LAMP with Ubuntu 10.10

  * Wiki: (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/LightingTheMaverickLAMP)

  * LP Directory: (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/500/detail/)

===== Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team =====

 * Held our regular monthly meeting on 2010-10-04

 * Finalized plans for our
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/547/detail/) on 2010-11-21 at
Pumping Station One (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/venues/6/detail/)

===== Florida LoCo Team =====

 * Team IRC meeting held on October 5th

 * Team IRC meeting held on October 19th

 * Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party - Tampa

 * Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party - Melbourne/Viera

 * Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party - Miami Lakes

 * Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party - Tallahassee/FSU

 * UDS-N Host Party - Orlando held on October 25th

===== New York State Team =====


 * 2010 10 23 12pm - 4pm cws, deejoe and cprofitt will co-sponsor a
Linux Workshop with Interlock Rochester

 * 2010 10 25 through 30 - cprofitt attended UDS



===== Virginia Team =====

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VirginiaTeam/MeetingMinutes) was held at 8pm
Eastern on October 5, 2010.

 * Ubuntu Open Week Activity Oct 15, 2010

   * Co-lead Session Have you tried turning it off and then on again?
 (Jessica Ledbetter (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/jledbetter))

 * Remote participation in Ubuntu Developer Summit

 * Ubuntu Hour

   * Fridays at Noon Jim Tarvid (http://ls.net/content/ubuntu-hour)

=== Additional Ubuntu Teams ===

==== Ubuntu Accessibility Team ====

 * Work continues on the Persona project

 * Accessibility of Unity and the Ubuntu desktop is a key theme at UDS

 * The importance of bugs affecting accessibility
has been formally defined

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility got a new header this month.
Many thanks to  cprofitt (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/cprofitt ) of the
Ubuntu Beginners Team.

 * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Accessibility/doc/StartGuide was
updated for Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

==== Ubuntu Classroom Team ====

 * Classes held:

  * 2 Oct: Introduction to Python: Part 3
by Pedro Mendes de Araújo for Beginners Team Dev Academy

  * 6 Oct: Understanding fields in /proc/meminfo
by the_hydra

  * 9 Oct: Introduction to Python: Part 4
by Pedro Mendes de Araújo for Beginners Team Dev Academy

  * 11 Oct - 15 Oct: Ubuntu Open Week

  * 14 Oct: Tips and Tricks for New Developers
by nhandler for Packaging Training

  * 16 Oct: Introduction to Python: Part 5
by Pedro Mendes de Araújo for Beginners Team Dev Academy

  * 22 Oct: Intro to Ubuntu
by MichaelH

==== Ubuntu Women Team ====

 * Held 2 Ubuntu Women Sessions during UDS

  * Thursday, October 28th: Ubuntu Women Mentoring Partnerships

  * Friday, October 29th: Ubuntu Women UDS-N Goals

 * Of the 623 Ubuntu Members at the end of this month 4.98% are women

== Monthly Team Reports: November 2010 ==

=== Ubuntu Governance ===

==== Americas Regional Membership Board ====

No applicants were present at the meeting on 2010-11-18

==== Developer Membership Board ====

Developer Membership Board meeting 2010-11-08 19:00 UTC

 * Chair: Stéphane Graber

 * Present: Benjamin Drung, Cody Somerville, Colin Watson, Emmet
Hikory, Michael Bienia

 * Absent: Soren Hansen

 * Action review:

 * Administrative Matters

   * Review Marco Rodrigues participation in Ubuntu Development

    * [ACTION] persia to ask the CC for assistance regarding Marco's
request for unban

 * PerPackageUploader Applications

   * Monty Taylor (mtaylor)

    * Adding upload rights to haildb

    * Approved: 6 for, 0 against. 0 abstained.

 * MOTU Applications

   * Micah Gersten (micahg) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/micahg/MOTUApplication)

    * Approved: 6 for, 0 against, 0 abstained.

 * Next meeting

   * Date: November 22nd 2010, 12:00 UTC

   * Chair: Emmet Hikory

Meeting Log (http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/10/11/%23ubuntu-meeting.html)

==== IRC Council ====

 * Team Report

  * Locobots replaced with Ubuntulog (in conjunction with LC and
canonical sysadmins)

  * Finalised Member approval process and sent to CC for approval

  * Call for new ops for #ubuntu, #ubuntu-offtopic and #ubuntu-ops

  * Call for IRCC nominations

  * Removal of bans without comments

  * Reviewed and worked on shell host ban draft document (not yet completed)

  * Liased with freenode about ways to improve the network (continuing work)

  * Bantracker access added for #ubuntu-women ops

  * 2 Escalated items

 * Meeting Minutes

  * Meeting, 13th November 2010

   * Meeting cancelled because of lack of quorum.

  * Meeting, 28th November 2010

   * Logs available at

   * TOPIC:  -offtopic 'support' discussion policy

    * ACTION:  Pici to write a proposal for offtopic support and mail
to the list for comments

   * TOPIC:  Ubuntu IRC name space over crowded and managed to
different standards beyond that of the Ubuntu IRC principles.

    * ACTION received:  ikonia to draft a set of basic guidelines for
channel creation

   * TOPIC:  Ubuntu operator recruitment process a waste of time,
impractical and not required

    * VOTE:  clarify the process for op applications and remove the
wiki page requirement.

     * RESULT: 4 for, 0 against, 0 abstained. Total: 4

   * TOPIC:  Creation of a #ubuntu-ops-backstage channel.

    * AGREED received:  Take this proposal to the ubuntu-irc list

==== LoCo Council ====

 * We had a LoCo Council meeting on November 16th. Topics discussed:

  * LoCo Team {re}approvals

   * Ubuntu-SE - not approved

   * Ubuntu-VN - not approved

==== Technical Board ====

 * Meeting 2010-11-02

  * Chair: Kees Cook

  * Present: Martin Pitt, Matt Zimmerman, Colin Watson, Mark Shuttleworth

  * Apologies: Scott James Remnant

  * Guests: Emmet Hikory

  * Action review

   * Colin to ensure that documentation on nature of extras.ubuntu.com
archive makes it into process docs, and ensure that ARB legality
checks are synchronised with those of ubuntu-archive. carry over

   * Matt to follow up with Brian on 174375 DONE

  * Dynamic "per package upload permissions" for Debian Developers

   * Supported in theory, formal proposal desired, since the details
will be the hard part.

  * Micro release exception request for Chromium

   * Approved and documented.

  * Quarterly Brainstorm review

   * [ACTION] Matt to write up Quarterly Brainstorm review and send to
TB mailing list.

  * TB meeting moved to 1500 UTC

  * Next chair: sabdfl

 * Meeting 2010-11-16

  * Chair: Martin Pitt

  * Present: Colin Watson, Kees Cook, Scott James Remnant

  * Guests: Scott Kitterman, Allison Randall, John Lenton, Eric Casteleijn

  * Action review

   * Colin to ensure that documentation on nature of extras.ubuntu.com
archive makes it into process docs, and ensure that ARB legality
checks are synchronised with those of ubuntu-archive. DONE

   * Matt to write up Quarterly Brainstorm review and send to TB
mailing list. DONE

  * KDE micro version update exception

   * upstream policy draft:

   * Proposed policy: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy

   * Approved with 3 for, 0 against. 0 abstained

   * Martin added this to

  * couchdb on lucid: backport 1.0

   * https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2010-November/000563.html

   * UbuntuOne cloud servers got updated to couchdb 1.0 to handle the
load and SSL

   * According to README and James Westby, the 0.10 -> 1.0 upgrade
needs to be done manually for the system wide instance

   * Impact on per-user couchdbs to be clarified

   * API is said to not have changed "much", but any change will break
existing couchdb applications, and thus needs to be clarified and

   * will cause problems with shared home directories and clients with
mixed 1.0/0.1 packages

   * To be investigated by U1 team: introduce couchdb-1.0 package into
lucid; what other packages need to be changed, what's the impact?

   * To be re-discussed at next meeting with more information on the wiki page

  * ARB exception proposal

   * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/MaverickExceptionsProposal

   * Public python libraries shouldn't be a matter for these packages

   * Private libraries could be kept in the app dir by setting sys.path

    * Can quickly templates be updated in lucid to automatically add
the application dir to sys.path?

    * Non-quickly apps would have a requirement to set this up by
themselves; is that practical?

   * .pyc files are not a must, so we could ship maverick packages without them

   * general opinion was that making an exception for desktop files
only would be okay

   * Some discussion whether using a vendor prefix in /opt would make sense

  * Next chair: sabdfl (carried over)

 * Meeting 2010-11-30

  * Log: http://www.novarata.net/mootbot/ubuntu-meeting.20101130_0859.html

  * Chair: Matt Zimmerman

  * Other members present: Martin Pitt

  * Guests: Allison Randall, John Lenton, Eric Casteleijn, Rick
Spencer, Stuart Langridge, Emmet Hikory

  * Action review

   * KDE microversion SRU docs - done

  * couchdb lucid backport SRU - John Lenton

   * Continuation from the previous meeting

   * We enumerated options for the Ubuntu One team to restore lost
functionality in Ubuntu 10.04 resulting from the CouchDB 1.0
server-side update. The options supported by the TB members present

    * option 1: parallel package couchdb 1.0, update desktopcouch to
use it, and release via SRU exception

    * option 3: update couchdb to 1.0 in backports, superseding 0.1 in lucid

    * option 4: do nothing, focus on natty, move on

   * The U1 team will decide which option to pursue based on available
resources and business considerations

  * ARB exception proposal - Allison Randal

   * Continuation from the previous meeting

   * Allison's proposal was supported by the TB members present:

    * Allow .desktop files to be installed outside /opt.

    * In Natty, we'll modify Quickly, cdbs, python-support, and
related packages o support installation in /opt.

    * For Maverick, accept that .pyc files and version symlinks won't
be generated for Python libraries.

    * For Maverick, ARB will perform manual package fixes on proposed
applications, to install in /opt and load libraries from /opt.

    * Binaries only in /opt (no exceptions for Maverick), will not be in $PATH.

    * Official install location is /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/ (with
version number? i.e. "/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/foo-1.5")

=== Ubuntu Development Teams ===

==== Xubuntu Team ====

===== Bug Triage =====

 * Still squashing bugs. This will be an on-going process.

===== Packaging, Development, & Testing =====

 * Inclusion of Xfce 4.7.x (future 4.8) is being worked on in natty.

===== Website & Marketing =====

 * Xubuntu needs a Marketing Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested or email charlie-tca at ubuntu.com

===== Artwork =====

 * We still need a good plymouth theme.

 * Charlie is working with the Ubuntu Artwork Team to draw a
specification for xubuntu artwork in Natty Narwhal.

 * ochosi is working on updating the faenza icon theme to include all icons.

 * ochosi is updating the bluebird theme to create greybird for
possible inclusion in Natty Narwhal.

  * Feel free to check it out @
http://shimmerproject.org/hg/bluebird-colors > greybird.

 * Xubuntu needs an Artwork Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested or email charlie-tca at ubuntu.com

===== Community =====

 * We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would
like to keep word out of the changes being made, as well as new

 * We are attempting to submit new articles to Ubuntu Weekly News at
least once a month about Xubuntu.

 * A community meeting was held on 2010-11-18. It was decided that
meetings will be held weekly through December on Thursdays.

 * A community meeting was held on 2010-11-25.

 * Minutes and logs from the meetings are available at

 * Xubuntu needs to nominate and vote for a permanent Project Lead.
Nominations are explained in

===== Documentation =====

 * Xubuntu needs a Documentation Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested or email charlie-tca at ubuntu.com

==== Ubuntu Studio ====

 * Natty Development

   * Moderating Seeds

     * seeds updating in ubuntustudio-dev bzr branch

     * ubuntustudio-meta package updated

     * emailed Colin Watson to update task list for tasksel

   * Art Development

     * plymouth theme

       * built on local machine -

       * will begin updating package soon

     * GDM background/desktop wallpaper

       * want to update these as well

       * considering basing new images on developmental plymouth theme

 * Website Update

   * Held meeting - logs start approximately [01:19]

   * Decisions Made

     * Will use the 'impact' mock-up theme -

     * Will stick with Drupal rather than another CMS (e.g. Wordpress)

     * Will use a "landing" page

     * Primary focus of the website will be:

       * to help new users understand what is Ubuntu Studio

       * to help new users learn how to use Ubuntu Studio

       * to help all users download Ubuntu Studio

     * Secondary focus of the website will be for marketing Ubuntu Studio

   * Next Meeting Preparations

     * tomwilso will prepare a 2nd draft of the site map focusing on
primary features

     * ScottLavender will assist tomwilso as required

 * Kernel development

   * Alessio Bogani (https://launchpad.net/~abogani) has developed a
-lowlatency kernel for Natty

   * Waiting for "official" documentation from UKT to get kernel into
the archive - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-version-and-flavours

=== Ubuntu LoCo Teams ===

==== Asturian Team ====

 * 26 November - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 19 November - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

 * 12 November - Install Party Ubuntu 10.10. Post before
(http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/175), Post after & Pictures

 * 5 November - 1Help=1Coffee (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/75) &
μCourses (http://ubuntu-ast.org/?q=es/node/73). Picture

==== Australian Team ====

 * November Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/Meetings/2010november09) -
Regular Team Meeting held 09th November, chaired by Ryan Macnish
(nisshh) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RyanMacnish) and attended by 9 team

 * Australian Localised Promotional Material
(http://www.ubuntu.org.au/node/77) - Team Members MoLE
(https://launchpad.net/~moleonthehill), blahdeblah
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaulGear) and head_victim
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris) worked together to localise a
pamphlet from the SpreadUbuntu (http://spreadubuntu.org/) site to
incorporate the Ubuntu-AU team
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam) details.

 * Ubuntu Advocacy @ LCA2011
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/LCA2011Brisbane) - working
towards Ubuntu-AU representation at the upcoming Linux.Conf.Au in
January 2011.

==== Belgian Team ====

 * November 9th: presentation of Ubuntu at University of  University
of Ghent (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/Education/UGhent_Open_Source-2010
) for students of Science Related Studies

 * November 14th: booth at  computer fair in Ghent
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Ghent_2010-11-14 )

 * November 21th: booth at  computer fair in Genk
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Genk_2010-11-21 )

 * November 28th: booth at  computer fair in Antwerp

 * Weekly IRC meetings
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/IrcMeetings/Reports) for
coordination on November 18th and 25th on #ubuntu-be

==== Cameroonian Team ====

 * 20 November 2010.Maverick Meerkat, install party at ESG, Douala.
Check Aventure Libre
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CameroonianTeam/Projects/Journal) #4 for

==== Canadian Team ====

 * Ubuntu Hours in Waterloo, ON (Nov. 3) and Ottawa, ON (Nov. 11)

 * IRC Meeting, Nov. 14

 * New website up: http://ubuntu-ca.org/

==== Catalan Team ====

 * November 1st: LoCo meeting about last minute praparations for
Maverick release party.

 * November 5th: JosepGallart spoke about Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat and
the release party on Catalan radio program l'Extraradi
(http://www.extraradi.com/) from Com Ràdio.

 * November 6th: Maverick Release Party
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CatalanTeam/MaverickMeerkat) at CTUG venue in
Granollers, near Barcelona. Pictures 1
Pictures 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/siscogarcia/sets/72157625364493190/)

 * November 11th: JosepGallart spoke about Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat and
the release party on a Balearic radio program from SOM Ràdio

 * November 16th: LoCo meeting about sensation from Maverick release
party and thing to improve next party.

 * November 20th: Maverick Release Party
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/564/detail/) at Ca Revolta venue
in València.

==== French Team ====

 * November news :

  * We have new goodies (Mugs
badges (http://yoboy.fr/images/ubuntu-fr_badges2010.jpg), tshirts for
women (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricomoro/5154473097/in/set-72157625332527372/),
tshirts for men
metal stickers (http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1289580245.jpg))

  * The design of our logo
(http://yoboy.fr/images/ubuntu-fr_logo2010.png) changes to be more
like the new Ubuntu. Color variations and different positions will
come in December.

  * We are re-organising our working teams
(http://yoboy.fr/images/ufr_lp_orga.png) and website projects
(http://yoboy.fr/images/ufr_lp_website.png) in Launchpad, hosting the
source code of our web applications. The future organisation will look
like this : teams (http://yoboy.fr/images/ufr_lp_orga_futur.png) and
projects (http://yoboy.fr/images/ufr_lp_website_futur.png)

 * November 5th to 7th - Ubuntu Party in Paris - conferences,
workshops, classes, demonstrations, webradio, streaming video,
installs - 150 benevolents, 3000 visitors, report

 * November 9th - IRC meeting in #ubuntu-fr-meeting channel on
Freenode for the debriefing of the Ubuntu Party in Paris friday, an
education oriented day. minutes

 * November 10th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * November 13th - Install Party in Brives-la-Gaillarde - conferences,
installs - 80 visitors, report

 * November 15th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * November 15th - Rendez-vous Ubuntu in Paris, it's a flash ubuntu
hour organised in the afternoon for the evening, 6 people show up, not

 * November 16th - Install Party Maverick in Lille

 * November 17th - Install Party in Paris 8 university

 * November 20th - Install Party in Marseille - conferences, installs

 * November 20th - Ubuntu Party in Toulouse - conferences, installs,
workshop - 700 visitors

 * November 20th - Maverick Party in Bordeaux - conferences,
demonstrations, webradio, installs - 60 visitors, report

 * November 22th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * November 27th - Debriefing Ubuntu Party in Paris - starting to
organize the next. report

 * November 29th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * November 30th - IRC meeting in #ubuntu-fr-meeting channel on
Freenode of the association Ubuntu-fr. agenda
minutes (http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/evenements/2010_11_30_reunion_association_log)

==== Greek Team ====

 * Four new moderators chosen for the forum by the members. Congrats
and keep up the good work!

 * Ubuntistas, community's magazine, issue 10 is out! You can check it
out (in Greek) here
Congratulations to the members who man the magazine's team!

 * Our team's planet is up and running at Curso Linux UNITEC

==== Honduras Team ====

 * Friday 12: (http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2079860&id=1604017838)

 * Friday 26: BarCamp 4.0 UNITEC  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

==== Hungarian Team ====

 * Presenting at the Infoera Conference (a conference for ITC
teachers) at Füzesgyarmat about Ubuntu (November 26): Photos

 * The number of registered users on ubuntu.hu has surpassed 19700

 * We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month
as usual: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/IRCMeetings

 * We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news: http://ubuntu.hu

 * We did various translation-related tasks

==== Ubuntu Ireland ====

 * Members of our loco, gave out Ubuntu cds at  the Business Value of
Open Source  (http://www.een-ireland.ie/eei/events/register.asp?eventid=270)
on the 16 November. Write up  here

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2010-11-17) was held at
8pm Irish time on Wednesday 17th November 2010.

 * On Wednesday 24th of November the  Dublin
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/527/detail/) Ubuntu Hour took
place at 19:00 in the Trinity Capital Hotel.

 * On Thursday 25th of November the  Limerick
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/526/detail/) Ubuntu Hour took
place in the Absolute Hotel at 18:00.

 * Members of our loco, are giving a hand running a  Christmas quiz
(http://christmastechiequiz2010.eventbrite.com/). next month. Planing
is under way.

 * Members of our loco made a more interactive facebook page,
Ubuntu-ie (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Ubuntu-ie/162490127121141).

==== Japanese Team ====

 * We held "Ubuntu Off-line Meeting Kansai 10.10" at October 30th.
About 40 people attended.

   * https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp/Events/OfflineKansai201010Report

 * We held "Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party Tokyo" at November 6th. 68
people attended.

   * https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp/Events/OfflineTokyo201011/Report

   * http://picasaweb.google.com/106468260551425064278/Ubuntu1010ReleasePartyTokyo#

==== Nicaraguan Team ====

 * 06 Nov:

    * POSOL Ep.16 (http://podcast.softwarelibre.org.ni/?p=259)
released by Team POSOL (Leandro Gomez, Jose Ernesto Davila, Norman
Garcia and Marcelo Gutierrez).

 * 15 Nov:

    * Pizza Bash 1.11 (http://linuxtour.org/Pizza-Bash-1.11), team
members attended Bash.

 * 16 Nov:

    * Team members participated meetting with CCEN

 * 20-21 Nov:

    * "Digital Technoogy for civil society" workshop in Santiago de
Chile. Norman Garcia (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/norm) gave a workshop
about digital security for NGO´s and a talk about Ubuntu.

 * 22 Nov:

    * POSOL Ep.17 (http://podcast.softwarelibre.org.ni/?p=298)
released by Team POSOL (Leandro Gomez, Jose Ernesto Davila, Norman
Garcia and Marcelo Gutierrez).

 * 30 Nov:

    *Drupaleada Noviembre '10 (http://groups.drupal.org/node/108639),
members attended drupaleada.

==== South African Ubuntu team ====

 * 6 November:  Stellenbosch Ubuntu Hour
) also  these cute ones
(http://blog.smartcube.co.za/2010/11/07/ubuntu-cat/ )

 * 15 November: IRC meeting (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20101115)

 * 21 November: Pretoria Ubuntu Hour

 * 28 November:  Ubuntu-za geeknic

==== Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team ====

 * IRC meeting held on the 02nd
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20101102) and 30th

 * FOSS Friday at Fossbox

==== United States Teams ====

===== Ubuntu California =====

Team meetings:

 * Sunday, November 7th

 * Sunday, November 21st

Ubuntu Hours:

 * Nov 4 Lake Forest (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/360/detail/)

 * Nov 10 San Francisco (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/523/detail/)

 * Nov 11 San Jose (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/551/detail/)

 * Nov 18 Lake Forest (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/361/detail/)

 * Nov 18 Mountain View (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/361/detail/)

 * Nov 20 San Diego (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/552/detail/)


 * After discussion on list
and at November 21st meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10November21) we
decided to use the ubuntu-us Linode and Google Apps

 * New website team
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/WhoDoesWhat#Website) created
to start website configuration

===== Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team =====

 * Held our regular monthly meeting on 2010-11-01

 * Held our 10.10 release party
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/547/detail/) on 2010-11-21 at
Pumping Station One (http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/venues/6/detail/)

===== Florida LoCo Team =====

 * Team Meeting held in #ubuntu-us-fl November 16th.

===== New York State Team =====


 * 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Launch Events Combined Launch Events

 * 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Finger Lakes Launch and
Holiday Party Barnes and Noble @ RIT

 * 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo New York City Area NYU Stern

 * 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Central New York Syracuse

 * 20101120 12pm - 4pm cws, deejoe and cprofitt will co-sponsor a
Linux Workshop with Interlock Rochester

 * 20101120 9am - 4pm cprofitt will hold a hands-on lab for educators
at NYSCATE 2010 Hands-on Lab



===== Virginia Team =====

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VirginiaTeam/MeetingMinutes) was held at 8pm
Eastern on November 1

 * Ubuntu Hours

   * Fridays at Noon Jim Tarvid (http://ls.net/content/ubuntu-hour)

   * First Hampton Roads Ubuntu Hour was November 23 at 7:00 p.m. in
Newport News, Virginia. Announcement
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10103909) and photo from
event (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digifoo/5204517654/). (Tutorial on
Debian/Ubuntu Packaging (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/jledbetter &

=== Additional Ubuntu Teams ===

==== Accessibility Team ====

 * Work continues on the Persona project

 * Accessibility wiki continues to be a work in progess. We did update
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/GettingInvolved and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Testing . There are now tests
available that any person can use to determine accessibility of

==== Ubuntu Classroom Team ====


 * 23 Nov: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/11/23/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t14:01)
by bilalakhtar for Packaging Alley-oop -- Getting your package into
Ubuntu through Debian (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training)

 * 24 Nov: (http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/11/24/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t00:01)
by paultag for Full Circle Magazine, Issue #43

==== Ubuntu Women ====

 * It's official, 5% of Ubuntu Members are Women!

  * Blog post by Elizabeth Krumbach: http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=3651

  * Blog post by Jono Bacon:

 * http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-43/ article "5% of Ubuntu
Members are Women" by Elizabeth Krumbach

 * Of the 623 Ubuntu Members at the end of this month 5.14% are women
(30 November 2010)

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Tuesday, 04 January 2011 ===

==== Ubuntu Chicago IRC Meeting ====
 * Start: 03:00 UTC
 * End: 04:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-chicago on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChicagoTeam/Meetings

==== Asia-Oceania RMB Meeting ====
 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 11:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Ubuntu-audio-dev meeting ====
 * Start: 11:00 UTC
 * End: 12:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/MeetingAgenda

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Server team IRC meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== App Review Board Meeting ====
 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Agenda

==== LoCo Health Check ====
 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-locoteams on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/LoCoHealthCheck

==== EMEA Membership Meeting ====
 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/EMEA

==== Community Council Meeting ====
 * Start: 21:00 UTC
 * End: 23:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

=== Wednesday, 05 January 2011 ===

==== Ubuntu Cloud Community and Q+A Meeting ====
 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-cloud on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Weekly Ubuntu Foundations team meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: ound under https:/wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2011/0105
 * Info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====
 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

==== Jono Bacon @ Home Videocast: Various Topics and Q+A ====
 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-quality on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, 06 January 2011 ===

==== Ayatana UX team meeting ====
 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 13:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: * Introductions * Review team charter * Organize first UX
activity * Brainstorm future UX activities

==== Ubuntu Translations Meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/Events/Meetings

==== Xubuntu Community Meeting ====
 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

==== Ubuntu News Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 23:00 UTC
 * End: Friday, 07 January 2011 at 00:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-news on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Friday, 07 January 2011 ===

==== Natty Weekly Release Team meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/Agenda

=== Saturday, 08 January 2011 ===

==== Ubuntu IRC Council Meeting ====
 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/IrcCouncil/MeetingAgenda

==== Washington DC BugJam ====
 * Start: 21:00 UTC
 * End: 23:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channels #ubuntu-us-dc and #ubuntu-bugs on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== DC Loco IRC meeting ====
 * Start: 23:00 UTC
 * End: Sunday, 09 January 2011 at 00:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-us-dc on freenode.net
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Sunday, 09 January 2011 ===

=== Monday, 10 January 2011 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====
 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 18:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 in December ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-1025-1: Bind vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1025-1
 * USN-1026-1: Python Paste vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1026-1
 * USN-1027-1: Quagga vulnerabilities  - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1027-1
 * USN-1028-1: ImageMagick vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1028-1
 * USN-1029-1: OpenSSL vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1029-1
 * USN-1030-1: Kerberos vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1030-1
 * USN-1019-1: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerabilities -
 * USN-1020-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities -
 * USN-1031-1: ClamAV vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1031-1
 * USN-1032-1: Exim vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1032-1
 * USN-1024-2: OpenJDK regression - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1024-2
 * USN-1033-1: Eucalyptus vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1033-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * bind9 (delayed)-
 * quagga- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2010-December/012887.html
 * openssl (delayed)-
 * krb5- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2010-December/012889.html
 * postgresql-8.1 8.1.23-0ubuntu0.6.06        -

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * bind9 (delayed)-
 * spamassassin 3.2.4-1ubuntu1.3 -
 * apparmor 2.1+1075-0ubuntu9.3 -
 * imagemagick-
 * quagga_0.99.9-2ubuntu1.4_hppa_translations.tar.gz-
 * openssl_0.9.8g-4ubuntu3.13_sparc_translations.tar.gz (delayed)-
 * krb5- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-December/012592.html
 * mailman 1:2.1.9-9ubuntu1.2 -
 * openvpn 2.1~rc7-1ubuntu3.6 -
 * advi (delayed)-
 * acroread 9.4.1-1 -
 * postgresql-8.3 8.3.13-0ubuntu8.04 -
 * opensc (delayed)-

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * bind9_9.6.1.dfsg.P1-3ubuntu0.4_armel_translations.tar.gz-
 * nspluginwrapper 1.2.2-0ubuntu6.9.10.1        -
 * openbravo-erp 2.50MP-24-1karmic1 -
 * imagemagick-
 * quagga_0.99.13-1ubuntu0.1_i386_translations.tar.gz-
 * openssl_0.9.8g-16ubuntu3.5_powerpc_translations.tar.gz-
 * krb5- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-December/012542.html
 * papyon 0.4.3-1ubuntu1.2 -
 * camlimages (delayed)-
 * advi (delayed)-
 * acroread 9.4.1-1karmic1 -
 * adobereader-deu 9.4.1-1karmic1 -
 * postgresql-8.4 8.4.6-0ubuntu9.10 -
 * opensc (delayed)-

=== Ubuntu 10.04 Updates ===

 * bind9_9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.1_armel_translations.tar.gz-
 * linux-ports-meta (delayed)-
 * cloud-init 0.5.10-0ubuntu1.5 -
 * mysql-dfsg-5.1 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8 -
 * update-inetd 4.35ubuntu0.1 -
 * testdrive 1.38-0ubuntu1.1 -
 * git-core 1: -
 * apparmor 2.5.1-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 -
 * openbravo-erp-openjdk 2.50MP-24-1lucid1 -
 * imagemagick-
 * quagga_0.99.15-1ubuntu0.1_ia64_translations.tar.gz-
 * paste- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-December/011909.html
 * openssl_0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.5_amd64_translations.tar.gz-
 * libpoe-component-client-dns-perl        1:1.051-1build1~lucid1 -
 * libpoe-component-client-keepalive-perl        0.2620-1build1 -
 * krb5- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-December/011913.html
 * libpoe-component-client-http-perl        0.893-1build1 -
 * mongodb 1:1.2.2-1ubuntu1.1 -
 * msttcorefonts 3.2ubuntu0.1 -
 * xf86-input-wacom 1:0.10.5-0ubuntu4.1        -
 * xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.5 -
 * partman-base 139ubuntu7 -
 * ipvsadm 1:1.25.clean-1ubuntu0.1 -
 * tomcat6 6.0.24-2ubuntu1.5 -
 * rsyslog 4.2.0-2ubuntu8.1 -
 * system-tools-backends 2.9.4-0ubuntu1.1        -
 * libvirt 0.7.5-5ubuntu27.8 -
 * pidgin 1:2.6.6-1ubuntu4.3 -
 * asterisk 1: -
 * srtp 1.4.4~dfsg-2ubuntu1 -
 * linux-firmware 1.34.2 -
 * kdeplasma-addons 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdeartwork 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdetoys 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdesdk 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdenetwork 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdeedu 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdewebdev 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdeadmin 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdebase-runtime 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdepim-runtime 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 -
 * kdepim 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 -
 * kdeaccessibility 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdegames 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdemultimedia 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdebase-workspace 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdegraphics 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdepimlibs 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdebase 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdebindings 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * oxygen-icons 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kdeutils 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * kde4libs 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 -
 * bareftp_0.3.1-1ubuntu1.2_sparc_translations.tar.gz (delayed)-
 * kde-l10n-nb 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-gl 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ko 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-pa 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-el 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-hr 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ga 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-fr 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-pt 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ro 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ml 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ru 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-da 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-he 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-eu 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ca 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-cs 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-hu 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-engb 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-wa 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-sk 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ptbr 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-ca-valencia 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-si 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-uk 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-mai 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-gu 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ar 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-tr 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-sv 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-id 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-et 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-km 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-fy 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-kk 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-zhcn 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-hi 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-tg 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-nl 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-fi 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-sl 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-csb 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-zhtw 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-nn 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-kn 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-lt 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-eo 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-sr 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-mk 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-pl 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-de 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-nds 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1        -
 * kde-l10n-lv 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-is 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-es 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-ja 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-it 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * kde-l10n-bg 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
 * acroread 9.4.1-1lucid1 -
 * linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick        -
 * clamav 0.96.5+dfsg-1ubuntu1.10.04.1 -
 * tftp-hpa 5.0-11ubuntu2.1 -
 * postgresql-8.4 8.4.6-0ubuntu10.04 -
 * postgrey 1.32-4ubuntu0.1 -
 * evolution 2.28.3-0ubuntu10.2 -
 * adobereader-deu 9.4.1-1lucid1 -
 * opensc (delayed)-
 * centrifydc 4.4.2-310-0ubuntu1 -

=== Ubuntu 10.10 Updates ===

 * bind9_9.7.1.dfsg.P2-2ubuntu0.1_i386_translations.tar.gz-
 * linux-ports-meta (delayed)-
 * software-center 3.0.7 -
 * schroot 1.4.7-1ubuntu0.1 -
 * purple-plugin-pack 2.6.3-1ubuntu1        -
 * qemu-kvm 0.12.5+noroms-0ubuntu7.1        -
 * wireshark_1.2.11-4build0.10.10.1_powerpc_translations.tar.gz
(delayed)- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-December/009067.html
 * openbravo-erp-openjdk 2.50MP-24-1maverick1        -
 * imagemagick-
 * openssl_0.9.8o-1ubuntu4.3_armel_translations.tar.gz-
 * krb5- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-December/009071.html
 * monobristol 0.60.1-2~maverick1 -
 * dansguardian -
 * parted 2.3-2ubuntu2 -
 * quickly-widgets 10.10.1 -
 * ubuntu-docs 10.10.4 -
 * ubuntu-docs 10.10.5 -
 * python-defaults 2.6.6-2ubuntu2 -
 * juffed 0.8.1-1build0.1 -
 * ampache 3.5.4-7ubuntu2.1 -
 * wine1.2 1.2.2-0ubuntu1~maverick1 -
 * indicator-appmenu 0.0.13-0ubuntu1.1        -
 * libwx-perl 0.9702-1build0.1 -
 * aptdaemon 0.31+bzr506-0ubuntu5 -
 * dell-recovery 0.71.1 -
 * linux-linaro 2.6.35-1010.17 -
 * sqlite3 3.7.2-1ubuntu0.1 -
 * linux-firmware 1.38.2 -
 * eucalyptus- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-December/009089.html
 * bareftp_0.3.4-1ubuntu0.1_armel_translations.tar.gz-
 * acroread 9.4.1-1maverick1 -
 * evolution-data-server 2.30.3-2ubuntu2.1        -
 * evolution 2.30.3-1ubuntu7.2 -
 * indicator-sound -
 * clamav 0.96.5+dfsg-1ubuntu1.10.10.1        -
 * ubuntu-sso-client 1.0.8-0ubuntu1 -
 * monobristol 0.60.1-2~maverick2 -
 * linux-meta -
 * postgresql-8.4 8.4.6-0ubuntu10.10        -
 * postgrey 1.32-5ubuntu0.1 -
 * packagekit 0.6.8-0ubuntu3.2 -
 * monobristol 0.60.1-2~maverick3 -
 * cmake 2.8.2-2ubuntu0.1 -
 * linux-meta-linaro -
 * opensc (delayed)-
 * adobereader-deu 9.4.1-1maverick1 -
 * centrifydc 4.4.2-310-0ubuntu2 -

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.


== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

You can always find older Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter issues at:

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

As always you can find more news and announcements at:




== Conclusion ==

Thank you for reading the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.

See you next week!

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Amber Graner
 * Nathan Handler
 * Liraz Siri
 * Elizabeth Krumbach
 * John Chiazzese
 * Daniel Lewis
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License -

More information about the ubuntu-news mailing list