IRC operator requirements

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:03:32 UTC 2010

Hi there Joe!

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Joseph Price <pricechild at gmail.com> wrote:

> Operator requirements, second line.
>
> Could we change "be complaint with" to "support"? (or even uphold?)
> Sounds a lot friendlier and I think it more accurately describes what
> we are wanting to achieve. Compliant sounds very borg-ish.

Changed, thanks for the suggestion.

> ----------
>
> This whole probation for new people idea... I say scrap it.
>
> Instead... Everyone should be reviewed in the capacities they hold.
> Review everyone a few times a year. Review incidents as and when they
> happen. Deal with issues. New people aren't that special.
>
> I also don't like how much of a formal process what is written down on
> that probation page seems...
>
> I think this is a separate idea. reviewing may need to be included, but
should not exclude the probation period.

----------

> "Operators in the the Ubuntu Core operator Team will be required to
> mentor new operators "
>
> That needs clarification. Does it mean that new operators require
> mentors? Or does it mean that ALL core operators have to mentor
> someone. English is evil.

Thanks! Clarified, please let us know if you still feel its unclear.

> ----------
>
> The operator application process....
>
> What if X applies to be an operator in #ubuntu-Y, and the IRC Council
> decide "hey he's great, lets just say yes". Do they still have to go
> through that entire process needlessly just to say yes to him?
>
> I don't think this is necessary - When the need for new ops arises, then we
should be adding people, not when someone good comes along. There are a lot
of good people who could probably do the operator job well, however, if the
operator team gets too large it becomes unwieldy and a case of too many
cooks in the kitchen.

"discuss amongst themselves". Nothing public then? Could you at least
> make a promise to discuss it with the applicant? A promise of at least
> a reply saying "No, I'm sorry but we haven't seen enough of you in
> that channel" would be nice.

When an applicant is declined on LP, there is an opportunity add a message -
similar to what we used to do with the irc team applications. (another good
reason we are using lp :] )

> --
>
> When I was on the IRCC, for every 1 reasonably applicant, there were 9
> who nobody had ever heard of. We rejected those and I politely
> explained that we hadn't seen anything of them, what we looked for in
> an operator, and also to give details on how to contact me to discuss.
> I don't see a possiblity of that in this process.
>
> There seems to be no way for the IRC Council to say "no". There is no
> feedback mechanism in there other than "congratulations, you win". If
> you want to document this process... you need to have a way for you to
> reject people.
>
> Now fixed, thanks for the feedback.

> -------
>
> And finally, my favourite point.... when is
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/IrcCouncil going to be finished and
> approved? It has been *MONTHS*. I said it needed to be done before the
> council election... we still haven't got it.
>
> Please talk to the community council about this matter :) That said, I
suspect this will be sorted in the near future.

> Pricey
>

> Cheers!  Hope this helps explain and I hope our changes are helpful. please
don't hesitate to email again if you have something more.

Jussi