[ubuntu-hardened] ubuntu-hardened Digest, Vol 60, Issue 3

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Fri Apr 5 14:36:20 UTC 2013

On 04/05/2013 02:34 AM, Abhijeet Sawant wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry to say, but I am little worried about view of Community regarding
> system security of Ubuntu. This is mainly because on 04/03/2013 mozilla
> release some CVE regarding Vulu. in Firefox/ SeaMonkey/  Thunderbird,
> but it took almost day to ubuntu community to release security update
> for above products. I might be security paranoid but I just want to ask
> why we need a day to release such an important update (As browser is
> mainly faces internet and it's comman target for client-side exploit.)

We coordinate with Mozilla and strive to release updates within 24 hours
of release and have processes in place to achieve this. This time, QA
showed that we had to fix an Ubuntu-specific bug that affected the
quality of the new Firefox release on Ubuntu, which delayed publication
for both Firefox and Thunderbird. We have identified the problem in our
processes that lead to this bug not showing up sooner, and are working
to address this problem going forward.