[ubuntu-hardened] SELinux Troubles

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 22 00:24:00 GMT 2008

Aaron Toponce wrote:

> I would like to install SELinux on my systems, however, 'apt-get install
> selinux' seems to install an 'selinux-policy-dummy' package that doesn't
> actually install a working policy. Installing 'selinux-policy-default'
> seems to be what I'm after, but it conflicts with the 'selinux' package,
> and as such, removes everything I would think I want for a working
> SELinux installation.

You don't mention what distribution of Ubuntu this is for, which is a
bit unfortunate.  Under Intrepid, installing the package selinux-basics
(via sudo apt-get install selinux-basics ) should work.  It's Depends:
and Recommends: lines are:

Depends: checkpolicy, policycoreutils, selinux-utils, python
Recommends: setools, selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted |
selinux-policy-refpolicy-strict | selinux-policy-default

So this pulls in selinux-policy-default (because the other two
-refpolicy- ones do not seem to be in the repository) automatically...

selinux-basics also includes a script called check-selinux-installation
which runs various tests to check on your selinux setup... sounds worth
a try in your circumstances.

Perhaps you are using an older Ubuntu, and this issue has been fixed in
the current version?

Jonathan