[ubuntu-hardened] SELinux Troubles

Aaron Toponce atoponce at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 21 21:03:12 GMT 2008

I would like to install SELinux on my systems, however, 'apt-get install
selinux' seems to install an 'selinux-policy-dummy' package that doesn't
actually install a working policy. Installing 'selinux-policy-default'
seems to be what I'm after, but it conflicts with the 'selinux' package,
and as such, removes everything I would think I want for a working
SELinux installation.

Further, regardless of the package I install, rebooting will not
initialize SELinux. It remains disabled. Even after editing the
/etc/selinux/config, and setting the 'SELINUX' variable to 'enforcing'.
I would really like to get SELinux up and running no my systems, but
from what I can tell, SELinux is severely broken on Ubuntu. Before I
file a bug on Launchpad however, I want to make sure that I've covered
all my bases.

I've been in #ubuntu-hardened and #selinux on Freenode with little to no
success. If can help me there, my nick is 'eightyeight'.

Please advise.

Thanks,
--
 ,-O  Aaron Toponce