The MoinMoin wiki engine and updates to the documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 1 13:45:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:31 AM, shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I had asked quite sometime back (
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2007-May/008488.html )
> about updates to moin moin to which Matthew East had responded by
> saying that would be looked during that time's release cycle .
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2007-May/008492.html )
> At that point the reason given was that its patched to integrate with
> Launchpad. Now a year has gone by and we are at Moin Moin 1.6.3 on
> stable and 1.7.0 rc1 .

The Canonical sysadmins are currently working on the upgrade, as you
can see here - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2008-April/010711.html

> Why just like launchpad can't the wiki be used by two kinds of people.
> One who want to be on the stable moin moin wiki 1.6.3 and the others
> who are happy to see what works or breaks on 1.7.0 rc 1 kind of stuff
> and also help moin moin at the same time? (Similar to
> https://edge.launchpad.net)

I'm not sure if it is possible to run two separate versions of Moin
using the same data directory. If it is, it would be quite a lot of
work, and I don't really see the point. It's different with Launchpad
because the Launchpad developers are actually developing the software,
whereas in our case, we're not developing MoinMoin. There is already a
test site for testing development snapshots of Moin -
http://moinmo.in/

Having said that, a test site where we can work on new features of our
own might be useful. Let's see if there is enough interest in
developing new features.

> The other point I wanted to stress or talk about is the documentation
> within the wiki itself. For e.g. look at
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/upstart Now I'm no expert but I do know that
> upstart has been doing things, updating/modifying things so lot of
> packages can be event-driven. Now as a user I would like to know where
> we are atm and what the roadmap is . This isn't clear to me.

You're talking about a page on the development wiki, which is not
looked after by the documentation team. But if you're interested in
finding out what the latest features are in upstart, check out the
upstart website - http://upstart.ubuntu.com/.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org