Information request about Ubuntu.

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 19:58:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 11:40 -0700, Dale Bustad wrote:
> Hi George.  I will try to answer your questions to your satisfaction.
> It sounds like switching to Ubuntu may not be the best choice for you
> right now.
>
> 1.  As far as I know, Photoshop will not run under Ubuntu.  WineHQ
> shows that Photoshop CS2 is unusable with Wine at present.  You may be
> able to run it in a virtual machine (such as VMWare Player, Qemu,
> etc), but the performance would likely not be what you'd expect.
Actually the performance is amazing. In many cases on modern machines
with dual cores and CPU support for virtualization there's very little
loss of speed.

> 9.  Hmm... another one I can't necessarily help with.  From what I
> understand, the newer ATI cards CAN be problematic.  The proprietary
> driver may support it better than the open source.  Someone else can
> probably speak to that better than I.
Running the live cd will answer this question. Then use 'System >
Administration > Restricted Driver Manager' to install the binary ATI
driver if needed. You can do all this on a machine with the live cd and
your existing files and windows will not be effected at all. Everything
is gone when you take out the cd.

> 10.  I found Ubuntu to be very intuitive and easy to learn.  That
> said, it is different from Windows.
Ubuntu will not delete Windows - you can choose each time you start the
computer to use windows or Linux (Ubuntu). So you don't have to choose
one or the other - use both if you want. A FAT32 partition will happily
store all your files so both systems (windows and linux) can work on
them.

>         I hope, that this is the right address to write to - this was
>         the only one I found and I got tired
>         after one and a half hour if search.
Actually this is not the right address. You should join the ubuntu-users
list.

Try:
and

from the full list of email lists which is here: