Information request about Ubuntu.

Jean-Christophe Berthon jberthon at ifrance.com
Tue Apr 24 09:54:18 UTC 2007

Hello,

A good place to have asked your question would have been in the
forums<http://ubuntuforums.org/>,
more exactly here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Anyway, I will try to give you a short answer, check within the lines of
your message:

On 4/22/07, Mr. AXit <axit at coolgoose.com> wrote:

> 1.) I use PhotoShop CS 2 on my computer, and I need Macromedia products
> too for my studies.
> Is there some way to get these work in Ubuntu?

Older Photoshop version works fine using the Windows emulator "wine".
However, Photoshop CS 2 does not work, as far as I know.
For Macromedia software, check The Wine application
database<http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php>or the CorssOver
application database <http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name>.
Crossover <http://www.codeweavers.com/> is like
Cedega<http://www.transgaming.com/>,
a commercial version of Wine, but whereas Cedega aim at supporting a lots of
games, Crossover aim at supporting a lots of office application.
You could check virtualisation too with Vmware or Virtualbox for example.

2.) Can I play games under Ubuntu? Are the Wine and Cedega good for this?
> Are they easy too use?
> What about Win4Lin?

Ubuntu comes with many fun games. However, it is not the Warcraft, Ages of
Empire or whatever hype game there is at the moment. Wine or easier Cedega
(but you have to pay for it) can emulate many games. But not all, and not
the recent ones. You can check if your favourite games is working here:
http://cedega.com/gamesdb/

3.) Why is it good, to run Windows XP in a window in Linux?

Who told you that? The problem of running Windows XP under Linux is that it
can consume lots of resources. So I won't do it unless I have a recent
computer (2-3 years old should be OK) and a lots of memory (1GB of RAM at
least, but I would recommend 2GB of RAM for a better experience especially
if you are going to use Photoshop CS2 inside a virtualisation environment).

4.) I hate/can't use programing. If I get home I don't want to use it. My
> girlfried doesn't eaven
> know what programing is! And we only have one computer at home.
> So, do I need to use codeing/programming to get things work in Uduntu or
> it is as easy as Windows?

I'm a programmer for job, but I do not program while using Linux ;-) do not
worry. With Ubuntu, everything is quite easy to configure, and all with
graphical user interface. I say "quite" because it is not Windows, and if
you are used to Windows, you will need to get used to Linux. It is not
worth, I think on the contrary, but you will need to adapt a little (loose
your old habit ;-) )
However, some manufacturers of hardware (I'm thinking especially of the
wireless network card or 3D graphic cards) do not furnish properly supported
drivers for Linux. Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to use what we call
the command line. Basically, someone could ask you to type something like:
"smbpasswd username" Most people explain you what it means and the purpose
of it, and you just have to copy&paste the line. :-) But keep in mind that
this is usually used when something is wrong.

5.) Can I see Flash and ShockWave content under Ubuntu in the wab browser?

Yes :-)
Once Ubuntu is installed. You will see in the top left of your screen a
menu. Select "Applications" then "Add/remove..." A window will appear. Type
in the search field: restricted. You will see an application that is called
"Ubuntu restricted extras", just install it (check the box next to it and
click on Apply)

6.) Can I play online with my friend? For example: Starcraft on Battlenet or
> via LAN.

Using Wine (or Cedega) you can play with Starcraft, and of course this mean
you can play in LAN :-)
There are also many neat Linux games you can play in LAN! :-)

7.) Can I use emulators to play Free MMORPGs which doesn't have a Linux
> version?

Check the previous links at Wine and Cedega to see if the game is supported
or not. Some have planned support for Linux like second life.

8.) Can I use bittorent and ftp under Linux? Is it as easy under Windows?

Yes :-) If you were using Azureus under Windows, it is also available under
Linux. Anyway, there is a built-in bittorrent client. So as soon as you
click on a .torrent file, Linux will open the right application for it. No
worries anymore :-)

9.) Video cards: I read this problem topic somewhere about ATI cards.
> I have an AXI X1600 video card. Will I have a problem with it?

Yes :-( if you are planning to use Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn), you will have
a problem, echk this link:
http://www.mikesplanet.net/2007/04/installing-ubuntu-704-ati-x-cards/
It uses the command line a lot. But I can give you the equivalence in
graphical mode now:
Step 4: go in the main menu "System" -> "Administration" -> "Update manager"
click the Check button and after the update manager has downloaded all the
information, click on the "Install updates" button. After the updates have
been performed, close the window.
Step 5: go in the main menu "System" -> "Administration" -> "Synaptic
package manager". Click on the search button and enter: xorg-driver-fglrx
In the result list, check the file that has the exact same name. To select
the line and go to the "Package" menu and choose "Mark for installation".
Then you can click the Apply button.
Step 6 and further: you will have to follow his instructions (that will save
you an extra reboot ;-) ). Basically, you need to open a terminal: go in the
main menu "Applications" -> "Accessories" -> "Terminal". And copy and paste
each of his commands. To paste data inside a terminal window, use the "Edit"
menu and choose "Paste".

That's it :-)

10.) AND, the most important thing is: Is Ubuntu the same easy-to-use
> operating system as Windows
> XP, just more secure and more stabel, or this saftey and stabiliy has a
> price - it is also harder
> to use and one needs help with it from more expirienced useres?

I think that Windows XP had finally reach the level of stability of Linux,
however it still lack the level of safety/security of Linux. Linux is easy
to use, however if you plan to do advanced stuff with your PC, you might not
have the graphical interface to perform the necessary modification. For
example, I had a friend who had two sound cards, one plugged to some
speakers and the other to headphone, and she wanted the ability to switch
easily from one sound card to the other in all applications... Well, it is
possible but it isn't easy ;-) but she finally managed to do it!

Do not hesitate to use the forums to post your questions :-)
I'm now all Linux at home and work, and I do not need Windows anymore :-) it
saves me some money and peace of mind (no trouble with viruses, etc.) Also,
on my old computers (7 and 6 years old) it is running much faster than on
Windows (might be cause also because I have an anti-virus under Windows...)

Cheers,
Jean-Christophe