Apologies

Nick Loeve ubuntu at trickie.org
Thu Mar 10 22:03:59 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:

> Having been around here for quite a while, I noticed that the Docteam
> has a tendency to slowly gather momentum, and as soon as things start
> working nicely, someone comes in and starts posting 10 mails a day
> asking to turn everything upside down.  I got used to it, but others
> tend to get scared.

I think it is more that existing contributors have spent a fair bit of
time getting a workable infrastructure (in relation to the size of the
team), and scraping that and starting again means just that, starting
from scratch again.

I don't see how the wiki-based thing will enhance how the doc team works
right now. How are we going to:

  - Integrate work that is already written?
  - Do things like a customized GNOME user guide?
  - Integrate existing documentation from other applications/process?

I am not saying it can't be done, but it will be a bit of a process.
Docbook is the default standard for documentation for exisitng
debian/ubuntu documentation, so are we going to convert all of it? And
reconvert it when they change upstream?

I can see that half (maybe more) the time of the next release cycle will
be spent setting up infrastructure, working out ways of gettings
compatible with existing processes etc etc without even writing any
documentation.

Mediawiki is a great application, but it isn't even supported software
in Ubuntu! It is PHP, which goes against the 'python as the
implementation platform' for ubuntu. I like PHP but the doc team doesn't
exactly have endless resources in respect to software development and
support.

So in the end, if we are going to change the whole doc team process as
proposed, i think i will have to withdraw too. I don't have endless time
to devout to the project, and a lot of time is going to have to go in to
setting it all up and still having some documentation to show in the end.

Nice working with you all! And good luck!

Cheers
trickie (Nick Loeve)