Rehashing wikis

Nick Loeve ubuntu at trickie.org
Wed Mar 9 03:00:54 UTC 2005

Corey Burger wrote:

> Thus we need the following items to happen:
> 1. Get ubuntuguide.org
> 2. Better wiki engine - I suggest MediaWiki
> 3. HTML to PDF converter
> 4. Buy in from the rest of you
>
> Corey

Hello Corey, Hello All!

We spent a lot of time during this release to get infrastructure up and
running to support the doc team. Sean did alot of work, as did
everybody, to get a good revision control system and build system for
documentation.

Although, at a higher level, i think it would be great to use a wiki for
all documentation, adding revision control and build systems that can
interact with the wiki is going to be a time consuming task.

How many on the doc team are developers that can tackle such a thing?
Would we get any support from existing Ubuntu developers?
Will Canonical/Ubuntu Council support this idea?

I think that your ideas are great, but i don't think it should be the
top priority for the doc team to move to using a wiki for all
documentation (at least for this release iteration). By the time the dev
and support is done on such a system, how much time will be spent
actually writing documentation?

I mean if we had a few competent developers (i would be interested in
working on the tasks) then it might not be so bad.

Any way... just my thoughts on the wiki talk on this list. Don't take
offence, and you definately don't have to listen to me.

Cheers
trickie (Nick Loeve)