Perl modules in Ubuntu that do not adhere to Debian's naming policy

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar at 43-1.org
Sun Feb 28 08:40:53 GMT 2010

Hi,

Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> writes:

>> Ubuntu includes several Perl module packages that do not adhere Debian's
>> naming policy[1].  Once Debian includes these modules in a differently
>> named package, there are problems if one tries to install both packages
>> at the same time.  See [2] or [3] for examples.
>
> Do you have a proposal for how to identify these packages?  Ubuntu packages
> are also expected to comply with this part of Debian policy, so this doesn't
> change anything unless we can automatically identify the ones that don't.

I did search for package containing files in /usr/(lib|share)/perl5.
Most problematic packages were already renamed, I only filed a bug
report for gtk2-ex-formfactory-perl [1] (already fixed).
I also identified a package that was renamed in Debian, but where the
old package has not been removed from Ubuntu yet [2].

There are also the packages

  ebox    -- common library used by eBox platform modules
  libebox -- eBox - Common Library

I cannot see much of a difference from the description.  Also libebox
should probably be called libebox-perl as well.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/526281
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/526295