Perl modules in Ubuntu that do not adhere to Debian's naming policy

Jonathan Yu jonathan.i.yu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:46:35 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Do you have a proposal for how to identify these packages?  Ubuntu packages
> are also expected to comply with this part of Debian policy, so this doesn't
> change anything unless we can automatically identify the ones that don't.

Perhaps we can go through the list of packages containing Perl modules
(.pm files) and remove the ones with names that are common to both
Debian and Ubuntu.

Assuming that the majority of Debian packages follow the appropriate
policy (and in my experience this assumption would seem to hold,
except for orphaned modules, many of which I've already adopted into
the group), this should take care of most of them -- thus leaving only
a handful to be manually filtered through.

Though this isn't a Ubuntu-specific issue - as I mentioned, there are
still some packages in Debian which violate the policy (I guess they
were packaged prior to the implementation of the naming policy) - this
seems like a good place to start.