Software-center not accessible - Please avoid webkit!

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:27:10 GMT 2010

Ubuntu developers need to know not to use webkit.  Any application
based on webkit cannot be accessed by Orca in any meaningful way.  The
Ubuntu Software Center, as a result, is 100% useless for the blind.
Software-center should be modified to used gecko.  Until that happens,
the blind will need to keep using gnome-app-install... except that
it's broken in Lucid.  Please stop making such mistakes, as it makes
Ubuntu less and less useful for the blind over time.

If there is any way to help Ubuntu developers test accessibility
during development, let me know.  I believe the blind would be happy
to help.  There are basic things, like avoiding webkit and Qt, which
everyone needs to know about.

Bill