-nouveau now set as the default driver for Nvidia hardware

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Sat Feb 20 09:25:14 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 03:51:53AM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> Now if I understand correctly the -nvidia driver doesn't yet support KMS
> right, so it's boot will actually be less attractive?

The -nvidia driver does not support KMS.  I do not know of any plans for
-nvidia to support KMS.  Because of this, we do not anticipate -nvidia
users will benefit as much from some of the boot improvement work being
done.  However, at least in Lucid, -nvidia is the best driver for
accelerated 3D performance.

Bryce