Merging with Bazaar

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Nov 20 13:22:43 GMT 2009

On Wed Nov 11 23:52:35 -0600 2009 Robert Collins wrote:
> We've run an experiment here at the Bazaar/Launchpad Ubuntu-focused
> bazaar sprint with bzr-builddeb and packaging.
>
> We updated (aiming to achieve an 'uupdate') using bzr builddeb.
>
> pristine-tar's data is stored in revision properties. What we ended up
> doing was:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/foo
> uupdate
> dch etc etc
> bzr builddeb -S
> bzr revert
> bzr import-dsc
> dput
>
> which made it all work.
>
> An import-upstream command would be lovely - so that we could do:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/foo
> bzr merge lp:foo
> uupdate
> bzr import-upstream (would tag a commit based on the current pending
> merge (or on tip if there isn't a pending merge) and replace the pending
> merge (or add one if there isn't one) with the imported tarball revid.
> dch etc etc
> debcommit
> bzr builddeb -S
> dput

Hi,

Thanks for trying this. The import-upstream command that you propose is
already available as merge-upstream (as a merge is being performed as
it includes the uupdate step). I know that there needs to be a wiki page
for this operation, but I'm interested in any other ideas you have for
ensuring that others don't miss this command.

Also, it would be very valuable to me if you could retry the experiment
using merge-upstream and let me know your feedback.

Thanks,

James