Terminal

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 05:46:53 GMT 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 9:17:25 pm Kev Ludlam wrote:
> Hi developers. I am a moderately computer literate user with enough
> skills to get myself into trouble but not enough to get out again.I have
> tried jaunty for a while and recently downloaded 9.10. Apart from
> keyboard and mouse not working and wifi switch problems on my dell
> vostro 1320, I am desparate to like ubuntu. As a 'layman' I would like
> to offer you some advice - if Ubuntu is ever going to be a reasonable
> alternative to windows, no user should ever need to use the terminal.
> I'm sure it is very useful if you know the commands, but all users ever
> want to do is click on a box - YES I want to install this program or NO
> I don't. Most users are technically ignorant and can cope with nothing
> more. I am quite experienced but still find it annoying and unnecessary.
> Please sort it out before Lynx! ( and if you can cure the wifi switch
> fault on the vostro that would be great too - it always thinks it is
> switched off on start-up, then tries to connect to the  wifi when you
> switch it off!)

Please file a bug about the wifi issue.

As far as the command line goes:  you shouldn't need to use it, this is
correct.  That help guides tend to use it is a way of avoiding writing
separate documentation for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu.  It is perfectly
reasonable when requesting help on IRC, mailing lists, or forums, to request
non-command-line directions.  Those helping you should be happy to give them.
My mom and brother have been using Ubuntu for...well it'll be 3 years in about
2 weeks.  They've never seen, let alone used, the command line.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo