Strawman: merge main and universe

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 17 06:52:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

Reinhard Tartler [2007-12-16 23:58 +0100]:
> Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> writes:
> > Those wouldn't be seeds any more, though, but a fully expanded list of
> > packages. That's very invonvenient especially for libraries which
> > change SONAMEs very often, relatively uninteresting build
> > dependencies, etc. This would be a maintenance burden.
>
> This most likely depends on how the merge gets implemented. If e.g. the
> list would be calculated on the buildds at build-time, I don't see
> additional maintenance burden.

Right, but then we lose manual control:

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2007-December/024859.html

Soyuz already gives us the tools to organize the archive in
components, so using them would be one possibility. Alternatively,
it could be reimplemented using a separate list of packages we want to
have in any official product (formerly called 'main'), and the dynamic
germination can then draw from this pool.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de