Strawman: merge main and universe

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 16 22:58:44 GMT 2007

Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> writes:

> Scott James Remnant [2007-12-14  0:31 +0000]:
>> Adding a build-dependency on a package in universe inherently drags it
>> into main, subject to archive admin approval.  I imagine we'd just use
>> exactly the same system, except instead of moving packages around on the
>> FTP site, simply doing bzr commits on the seeds.
>
> Those wouldn't be seeds any more, though, but a fully expanded list of
> packages. That's very invonvenient especially for libraries which
> change SONAMEs very often, relatively uninteresting build
> dependencies, etc. This would be a maintenance burden.

This most likely depends on how the merge gets implemented. If e.g. the
list would be calculated on the buildds at build-time, I don't see
additional maintenance burden.

It seems the majority tends to agree to this proposal, but the exact
implementation details are left rather unclear. I therefore think it
would make sense to talk about (possible) implementation details about
this idea. Espc. the changes needed in the buildds for this seem worth
discussing, because I could imagine that integrating germinate in soyuz
won't be particulary easy...

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4