Strawman: merge main and universe

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 21 11:20:29 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 12:31:32AM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 21:38 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > At the moment, packages in main cannot (build-)depend on packages in
> > universe. This is technically easy to implement with apt. What
> > consequences would your proposal have with respect to this constraint?
>
> Err, I'm not aware that APT is involved in the process.

It is. The ogre model (layers) is implemented on the buildds by means of
simply omitting universe from /etc/apt/sources.list when building
packages in main, which renders it impossible for a package in main to
build against universe even by accident (think virtual packages).

> In the current system, when a package is seeded, its dependencies and
> build-dependencies are added to the resulting package list by germinate.
>
> Anastacia informs the archive admins of mis-matches between the
> germinate output and the archive state.

This complements the above process, but we do make use of both processes
at the moment.

Cheers,