Strawman: merge main and universe

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 13 08:58:45 GMT 2007

Scott James Remnant [2007-12-13  0:18 +0000]:
> (The difference being that the seed owners may set their own
> permissions; the primary seeds that currently determine what goes in
> main would probably keep the same work flow as they do today, the only
> difference being that the archive admins don't need to change a
> component after committing the seed change).

I always have considered that a good feature actually. It's the only
point where we control what actually goes in and out of a component
like main. If we lose that, then any transitive dependency addition
would automatically get supported. If it was not a manual merge, but
an autosync, then there are no humans involved at all any more. Thus
you end up with many packages we do not actually want to support in a
particular seed.

E. g. libssh2 (#173783) was introduced in a curl merge, but it's
something we do not want to support for 5 years without at least
making a qualified decision about it.

Can we create one component per product instead of melting all
products into main? I understand that this might break the ogre model
in interesting ways and would also furtherly complicate apt sources
like

 main restricted universe multiverse

becomes

 ubuntu ubuntu-restricted kubuntu kubuntu-restricted universe

if someone wants to use ubuntu and kubuntu on his box (assuming
'universe' continues to be a catch-all for packages not seeded
anywhere). But that could also nicely be hidden in our package
management tools. AFAIU you, you want them to be extended like

 Products:           [x] Use software with restricted licenses
 [x] Ubuntu
 [ ] Kubuntu
 [x] Edubuntu
 [ ] Xubuntu

anyway, right? It would be easier to map this to particular apt
sources than to find out on the client side which seed a particular
package belongs to.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de