Remastered LiveCD HOGS memory

Roberto Piscitello robepisc at freemail.it
Mon Nov 13 10:08:22 GMT 2006

Aniruddha Shankar <karim <at> sarai.net> writes:

> Hi, all
>
> Have been working on a remaster of Kubuntu for the Cybermohalla media labs,
> situated in working class localities in New Delhi. Unlike the vanilla Edgy Eft
> Kubuntu LiveCD, our LiveCD is only borderline usable with 512mb of memory and
> totally unusable with 256 mb.
>
> Are there some optimisations done to the filesystem.squashfs file to enable it
> to boot and work faster and/or with less memory required, such as the
> optimisations that have been done to KNOPPIX and accelerated KNOPPIX ?
>
> When KNOPPIX is booted, it automatically activates any detected swap
> partition.
> Kubuntu does not do this (by design?).

Sadly it doesn't because of bug #62868
(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/62868).

BTW, I would be happy if you could test the workaround described in the last
comment on that bug, and continue this discussion in the bug tracker.

> On a system with low memory, it asks the user whether it should create and
> use a swap file on a local partition. Can the Kubuntu/Ubuntu LiveCD do this?

This would be an interesting and useful feature.
Probably a spec should be written about that.

> For more information about my remaster, please visit:
>
> 1. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2006-October/000362.html
>
> Subsequent Changelog
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2006-November/000365.html
>
> Cheers,