cupsys - enable browsing or not?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 26 08:06:01 BST 2006

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Jorgensen [2006-04-25 16:10 -0600]:
> Oh dear.  I don't like that (if I understand it).  I do think it's
> good to be able to enable sharing from a UI but I don't think sharing
> should both be enabled when I check "Detect LAN Printers".  Sharing
> and browsing are two very different things.

I know, but the 'Browsing' setting in cups controls both, there is
little we can do about that.

> Suppose my department has a shared black-and-white laser printer and I
> have a personal (and far too expensive per-page) inkjet in my office.
> If I check "Detect LAN Printers" in gnome-cups-manager that should
> allow me to detect the department printer but should not share my
> Injet with everyone.

By enabling Browsing, other people can merely see your printer. That
doesn't mean that they are allowed to use it (they are not by
default). You still have to allow them access by defining 'Allow <ip
range>' statements in cupsd.conf. This is indeed a weak point, since
We do not yet have a GUI for that, but defaulting to 'Allow @LOCAL'
would be bad precisely for the way you described.

Adding that GUI should be done in any case, but it's too late for
Dapper, and I believe that the gnome stuff for printing will change a
lot in Edgy anyway.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?