cupsys - enable browsing or not?

Ante Karamatić ivoks at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 26 08:47:26 BST 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:06:01 +0200
Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I know, but the 'Browsing' setting in cups controls both, there is
> little we can do about that.

Guys in CUPS made Browsing to complicated and didn't provide any
reasonable documentation :) Setting Browsing to on doesn't control
sharing local printers. BrowseAddress controls sharing local printers.
Test it:

set Browsing to on
set BrowseAddress to @LOCAL
set Listen to 631

Local CUPS will see printers shared by other CUPSes, and other CUPSes
will see local printers.

Commenting out BrowseAddress will still make other printers visible to
you, but not your printers to others. Same thing can be achived with
Listen directive. So, BrowseAddress and Listen control sharing local
printers.

> By enabling Browsing, other people can merely see your printer. That
> doesn't mean that they are allowed to use it (they are not by
> default). You still have to allow them access by defining 'Allow <ip
> range>' statements in cupsd.conf. This is indeed a weak point, since
> We do not yet have a GUI for that, but defaulting to 'Allow @LOCAL'
> would be bad precisely for the way you described.

That's correct. But it's easy to make default setting in CUPS to allow
printing to local network, but in the same time leave default Listen
localhost:631. With changing Listen localhost:631 to Listen 631, CUPS
on Dapper would became printer server for local network (and this
could be easily implemented in GUI). For finer printer server one
should edit config files (as it's needed for SAMBA, NFS, FTP, etc...).

--
Ante Karamatic | 0xD3BDA225 | 0x0A4A0161
ivoks at grad.hr | ivoks at ubuntu.com | ivoks.blogspot.com