cupsys - enable browsing or not?

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Tue Apr 25 23:22:29 BST 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 00:10, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Oh dear.  I don't like that (if I understand it).  I do think it's
> good to be able to enable sharing from a UI but I don't think sharing
> should both be enabled when I check "Detect LAN Printers".  Sharing
> and browsing are two very different things.
>
> Suppose my department has a shared black-and-white laser printer and I
> have a personal (and far too expensive per-page) inkjet in my office.
> If I check "Detect LAN Printers" in gnome-cups-manager that should
> allow me to detect the department printer but should not share my
> Injet with everyone.

While reading your e-mail, I recalled seeing a blog entry on PlanetKDE a few
weeks ago on this subject. It's archived online here, it discusses the setup
of CUPS in Kubuntu and explains something about browsing:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1899

I hope this provides useful information regarding this discussion.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep