ubuntu-desktop depends on bicyclerepair?

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Tue Apr 18 19:10:47 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 10:28, Santiago Roza wrote:
> we can't support every language out there in a single cd, so choices
> have to be made.  in this case, mark shuttleworth himself chose
> python, so there's nothing you can do about it by whining in this
> list.

It would be sensible for the SA*DFL to read this list, or
at least to assign some Junior Minister of the Realm to read
and summarize it for him.  Or is he making decisions in a
vacuum?  (Would explain a lot.)

> if you think the sabdfl is wrong, you can try to contact him by email
> or irc or something.  if he still doesn't like your point, you're
> completely free to start your own non-python fork of ubuntu.  but
> please try not to discuss this in the wrong place, since that would be
> a real waste of time and resources.

Putting Python devel on every Ubuntu desktop is a waste of
time and resources.  Therefore, attempts to reverse this
silly decision are attempts to save time and resources.

However, we should keep things in perspective.  The Python
devel decision is only silly and wasteful.  The decision to
drop mailx and a (stub) MTA is *dangerous*.

How many PHBs are going to fire sysadmins when they find
Python devel missing from their desktop?

How many PHBs are going to fire sysadmins when they lose
data (or their MP3 collection) and MySQL or mdadm or
smartmon or standard had been trying to send warning messages
for weeks?  (Yes, we know the Ubuntu answer is that everyone
should read their syslogs every night.  However, this is
not feasible for those of us in the reality-based world.)

--Mike Bird