How to use the new Launchpad status?

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Jul 7 20:44:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:17:19 +0100
Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 11:48 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Great. I find the last sentence a bit of a mouthful though. How about:
> > >
> > >        Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to
> > >        make Ubuntu better. While we appreciate that the software does
> > >        not behave as you expect, we consider it a matter of
> > >        opinion whether or not the behavior should be changed as you
> > >        suggest. This bug is being set to "Opinion" to indicate
> > >        that. Although we do not consider it invalid, we will not start
> > >        work on resolving it until we have a solution that solves your
> > >        problem without compromising existing functionality and usability.
> > >
> > > Just my two cents,
> > > Evan
> >
> > I'd prefer we don't use it at all.  I get stacks of bug mail with not very
> > useful discussion already.  Just about the last thing we need to do in the bug
> > tracker is encourage more of it.
>
> This is why the Launchpad devs are currently working on new subscription
> features which should allow to have more control over what lands in your
> mailbox. Once that's available, you should be able to significantly
> reduce the amount of email you're not interested in.
>

> > If a bug is Invalid or Won't Fix, then the bug tracker isn't the right place
> > to discuss it.
>
> Well, if they added that new status, it's because they identified that
> there's a need for it. You do have bugs that are reported that are
> really a matter of opinion as to whether they should be addressed or
> not. And now that it's there, we (as BugSquad) will have to deal with it
> one way or another.
>
> Bruno

Why does bugsquad have to decide if the developers do want to fix a
bug? Can't the bugsquad simply allow the developers themselves decide
whether or not to use this new status? As triagers, it is up to the
bugsquad to prepare the bug for developers to work it. It is not really
a triage decision to not fix the issue.

--
Charlie Kravetz