Call for testing empathy

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Sun Aug 10 21:56:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 15:38 +0100, Alexander Jones wrote:
> 2008/8/10 Philip Wyett <philwyett at gmx.com>:
> > The argument Luke puts forward for keeping pidgin by default for the
> > time being I totally agree with. I have installed empathy under hardy
> > and it connects to nothing by default but asks you to install
> > 'backends'. I know it uses telepathy so knew what to look for but any
> > common user would not, so this makes the application useless and
> > documentation is non existent to guide you!
>
> Schoolboy error. You should be evaluating the Empathy in Intrepid, not
> Hardy, in order for you to make a fair assessment and valid
> contribution of opinion, here.

The first comment was not called for. I sent an email to the list 36
hours ago asking for clarification if feedback was wanted intrepid or
was feedback for hardy welcome and as of yet no replies in my email.

Additionally, testing in intrepid would be feasible if:

1. Intrepid ran in virtualbox without kernel panics.
2. You could have Intrepid on another machine and VNC in, but this is
not the case due to a gnome-session issue that as of a few days ago was
still waiting the fixed package to be pushed.

<snip>

> > The app does not meet the grade to be included in any Ubuntu release at
> > this time. Also the UI is not nice and slick or smooth ... something
> > Mark is looking for to be above the Apple crowd and beat them with
> > better and as nice looking software.
>
> It is as slick and smooth as the GTK theme you use. How is Pidgin any
> "slicker" or even any "smoother"?

I never said pidgin was and merely said empathy isn't.

Regards

Phil