[ubuntu-art] Update-notifier icon

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 12 20:20:58 GMT 2007

Étienne Bersac wrote:
> As i noticed during the dapper cycle, the update-notifier icon is wrong.
> It has one goal : tell the user to manually trigger update. I notice
> that neither my father nor my mother nor any other membres of my family
> understood that (that's almost all the clueless people i can observe).
> Even if i tell them several times the meaning of this icon.
>
> up2date icon from RH is far better : a glowing red circle with an
> exclamation mark.
>
> Also, there is something very confusing in this icon : it follows the
> label's convention i.e. flat orange background + white sketch.
> Notification icons are icons similar to menu icon. They must follow the
> same guideline !
>
> Ubuntu has very very nice notification area icons, thanks to Gnome (see
> how ugly are Windows® Vista systray official icons !!!).
>
> So i found that this icons fail to warn the users (please tell be about
> your clueless users) and does not fit well in the panel.
>
> What are we going to do in order to fix that issue ?

Etienne, if I understand you correctly your main concern is that the
icon is not "aggressive" (red) enough. I agree that the icon needs to
attract attention, but am not sure I agree that it needs to be a big red
warning sign.

I just updated my package list to see the icon again and it seemed to me
to be very adequately serious - and when you mouse over it, it tells you
what you need to see.

In short, I myself don't think it needs to change, but I'm sure Ken and
other artists will consider suggested updates.

Mark