lubuntu ppc: no sound in newer kernels (Israel)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed May 21 11:44:06 UTC 2014

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2014-May/007479.html
The part I forgot to mention is:

2. open alsamixer... if alsamixer opens... your sound will soon work...
So, type in
alsamixer

You will see the mixer interface now.  go through and press 'm' on the
Headphone Jacks that are muted (the first two)  For some reason, the
third one wont unmute... but it doesn't matter.
Then go to the last column called PCM and press up for a while until you
have a higher volume (like in the 50-70 range... with 70 being almost
too loud at full volume)

The unfortunate thing is *some* models "wont" work... there is actually
some hacking and compiling involved in getting them to work....

Pulse audio wont effect it at all, and pavucontrol is actually pretty
nice to have for the panel volume control settings app.

If you have any specific questions about what certain things are, or
reasons 'why' you need something, etc.. let me know!  It might be good
to keep that info on the list, in case anyone else has a similar question.