Why is lubuntu-artwork not being updated in Trusty?

Rafael Laguna rafaellaguna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:05:52 UTC 2014

We make things for a reason. When we create new icons, themes, apps or
whatever, they are intended to be part of the system you have on your home.
But sometimes we need to experiment, or make tests, or just ensure what we
do does not affect a massive amount of computers.

Box is part of Lubuntu, yes. But it's a standalone theme too, if you use
another Linux distro. Also, I add lots of new icons and make changes in the
GTK theme. Imagine the situation that I modify something that breaks the
system on thousands of computers (it happened, trust me). Before we push
the changes onto Ubuntu's main repos we have to be really really sure it
works as expected.

That's the reason I have a separate PPA for artwork. The same about the
staging apps. When you download a system you expect it keeps stable and not
changing daily. And we're Artwork Team. We cannot login in Canonical's
servers everyday and say "hey, I'm going to change some stuff, so your ISOs
may change size and stability and package dependencies". There's a complex
structure and there're protocols in the way we work.

--
Rafael Laguna
Lubuntu Artwork Team