14.04 and its support

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Wed May 7 22:37:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

14.04 is released since a few days, and according to the activity on this
mailing list and the Facebook page, it seems to have a bit of success :-)
That's nice to see :-)

I didn't had the time to personally thanks all people involved in this
release. It's not only this one, but all the previous releases which make
this LTS possible. This is the achievement for many years of work and many
hours many of you spend on it :-) So, to everyones, thanks a lot !! :-)

So, Lubuntu 14.04 is an LTS, it means we will support our packages (= the
LXDE ones and our specific packages living on the ISO) during 3 years. All
common components with Ubuntu will be supported 5 years (like the kernel).
I advise people to migrate to 14.04, because it's now the release we
support the most, and all the work on the support will go to this release.
Of course, it's not perfect, but we are working to fix the remaining little
bugs.

Of course, we will try as much as possible to push all the fixes to
official repositories, especially the critical ones. However, I realized
that we should also offer some
safe-updates-but-still-too-much-for-the-official-repo to our users during
this time. That's why I'm currently preparing those updates in
https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+archive/staging (not sure we should
keep this PPA for this purpose, but for now it should do the work). I have
in mind :

- New version of sylpheed (there is 1 or 2 fixes I'm also preparing for the
official repo)
- New version of gnumeric
- Artwork more up-to-date (that will change the look and feel so we can't
include it in the official repo)
- Fixes in progress, before pushing them to official repo (like the problem
of auto-started applications and the not-starting nm-applet).

14.10 is already “too” soon, but since it will generate some “cute”
discussions, I'll send another mail later about this :-)

Regards,
Julien Lavergne